PDA

View Full Version : How to initiate counseling/ therapy

Qwerty02
03-03-2014, 10:43 PM
So I was finally prescribed Escitalopram (Lexapro) by my GP. I was really hoping he would recommend therapy first.
I filled the script but haven't taken it yet. I'd like to research it first before deciding.

In the mean time, I've been thinking about therapy as an alternative but I have questions:
How do I go about starting the counseling/ therapy process?
Do I need my GP's blessing, recommendation or referral?

I'm kind of stumped as to what to do next.

BrookeLynnnn
03-03-2014, 10:46 PM
Nope! If you have insurance, google places that take your insurance.. Call them up! Or you can just look up therapy places & call to see if they take your insurance.. & if you don't have insurance, I don't believe it matters where you go. I'm not positive on this info but I'm pretty sure :)

Qwerty02
03-03-2014, 11:11 PM
Nope! If you have insurance, google places that take your insurance.. Call them up! Or you can just look up therapy places & call to see if they take your insurance.. & if you don't have insurance, I don't believe it matters where you go. I'm not positive on this info but I'm pretty sure :)

I do have insurance.

Is there any relationship between the counselor and my GP?
Do they exchange notes, correspondence? Anything?

Never done anything like this before. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone who has either :(

BrookeLynnnn
03-03-2014, 11:15 PM
I do have insurance. Is there any relationship between the counselor and my GP? Do they exchange notes, correspondence? Anything? Never done anything like this before. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone who has either :(

No, all you have to do is call & tell them you're interested in seeing a therapist & give them your insurance info & they'll tell you if accept it & then go on from there.

You don't need anything from your Dr.