PDA

View Full Version : serax withdrawl

updownaround77
03-28-2008, 03:19 PM
Hi,

Has anyone suffered from a withdrawl from Serax? I was taking 1-2 15mg pills every 3-5 days a week for 3 weeks and stopped 2 days ago. Since stopping I have been shakey, achy and have the chills. My anxiety has also come back full swing. Could this be a withdrawl from the medication? If so, how long should I expect it to last? Since I was taking such a low dose I dont see how they can wean me off any more...

Robbed
03-28-2008, 05:32 PM
It sounds like you are most DEFINITELY suffering from withdrawal. Although all SSRIs can be addictive for some people, Seroxat (Paxil) is notoriously bad for causing dependency - even if the dosage is low. Cold turkey is probably not the best way to get off this drug. You probably want to talk to your doctor about tapering off of it. But if your doctor is uncooperative (and MANY seem to be when it comes to discontinuing SSRIs), try tapering off yourself. You will probably have to either cut pills and/or space dosages farther apart. If withdrawal gets severe, then slowing the taper is probably a good idea.

santaboi
03-30-2008, 06:14 AM
It sounds like you are most DEFINITELY suffering from withdrawal. Although all SSRIs can be addictive for some people, Seroxat (Paxil) is notoriously bad for causing dependency - even if the dosage is low. Cold turkey is probably not the best way to get off this drug. You probably want to talk to your doctor about tapering off of it. But if your doctor is uncooperative (and MANY seem to be when it comes to discontinuing SSRIs), try tapering off yourself. You will probably have to either cut pills and/or space dosages farther apart. If withdrawal gets severe, then slowing the taper is probably a good idea.

i dont think seroxat is notoriously bad for casuing dependency every drug affects each and everyone differently.

Robbed
04-01-2008, 08:56 PM
i dont think seroxat is notoriously bad for casuing dependency every drug affects each and everyone differently.

Actually, it IS notorious for causing dependency. In fact, most doctors here in the US will only write prescriptions for Paxil for those people who have had positive results with it - most will NOT write new prescriptions for Paxil (Seroxat) because of its tendency to be addictive. And given the way that MOST doctors are practically overjoyed to prescribe SSRIs here, this is saying something. Also, there have been several lawsuits against the manufacturer of Paxil regarding their claim that it is 'non-habit forming', and in at least one case, the ruling was NOT in favor of the manufacturer (although I believe that the manufacturer is appealing). Yes, it IS true that people have verying responses to SSRIs which really cannot be predicted before the drug is actually taken. And it certainly IS true that SOME people have benefitted from using Paxil. It is also true that SOME people DON'T have dependency problems with Paxil. BUT, it is a well-known fact that a greater percentage of people using Paxil will become addicted to it vs other SSRIs. Effexor is also associated with bad withdrawal. But, although it is an antidepressant, it is (strictly speaking) not an SSRI.

Robbed
04-01-2008, 09:26 PM
Hi,

Has anyone suffered from a withdrawl from Serax? I was taking 1-2 15mg pills every 3-5 days a week for 3 weeks and stopped 2 days ago. Since stopping I have been shakey, achy and have the chills. My anxiety has also come back full swing. Could this be a withdrawl from the medication? If so, how long should I expect it to last? Since I was taking such a low dose I dont see how they can wean me off any more...

I guess I misunderstood you. I guess I thought Serax was a typographical error, and you meant Seroxat. Anyway, Serax (oxazepam is the name I know) is actually a benzodiazepine, not an SSRI. But like SSRIs, benzodiazepines can also be addictive. I would not think that taking 1-2 pills a day, 3-5 days a week would cause a problem. But, it is certainly possible. As would be the case with SSRI dependency, you probably want to talk to your doctor OR try to taper off more slowly.