PDA

View Full Version : Prozac question

Blessed
03-02-2014, 12:17 AM
Maybe I just don't understand , but why do docs put you on Prozac or the like for anxiety??? I am not depressed, I am just ticked off at all this unnecessary worry and fear . Is there an anxiety med to take or is that where Ativan and Valium come into play?

jessed03
03-02-2014, 02:57 AM
It's quite strange really, that we can talk about this stuff, without ever really being able to talk in facts.

What's believed to happen when you have anxiety, is your serotonin levels are gobbled up super quickly, which can then leave you prone to more anxiety, more depression, mood swings etc.

The drugs aim to ensure only certain amounts can get used up at any time.

Which is useful, but not the full story, as you still have to change your thinking patterns :)

Valium and Xanax don't really do anything other than affect GABA, which sort of just gives you temporary relaxation. Similar to a few glasses on wine.

Prozac will only really work on serotonin, it's an SSRI, which is useful, but kind of basic. There are drugs which work on things like noradrenaline, which is the antidote to adrenaline so to speak. Some find those more useful.

bittersweetgirl
03-02-2014, 03:11 AM
It might help with anxiety if you're lucky - docs have tried SSRIs with me for years with no luck (for anxiety). But oddly, Wellbutrin helps me, and it's supposed to increase anxiety (a stimulant, sort of). Go figure. I take xanax too, for the especially rough patches.

acetone
03-02-2014, 05:57 AM
Actually antidepressants help with both anxiety and depression so they are prescribed for both. Although antidepressants and benzodiazepines are the main anxiolytics used today there are some more-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anxiolytic
The above article notes that older antidepressants MAOIs(Nardil, Parnate, isocarboxazid) are also effective anxiolytics but due to danger of dietary complications are rarely prescribed. MAOIs are said to be extremely effective by users who take them. There is one other class called TCAs. TCAs are also effective anxiolytics but have more severe side effects than SSRIs.