PDA

View Full Version : Can someone clear something up 4 me

SCOTT A LEADER
03-25-2008, 09:43 AM
The anxiety I suffer from makes me believe (irrationally I know)that suicide is the only way out of my current mess. Will I always believe this or does the mind move onto others solutions?

crippledcowgirl
03-25-2008, 01:46 PM
I would seriously reccomend seeing a psychiatrist, as these are not feelings you want to be having. Depression and Anxiety are often linked. So it's possible your brain is not producing the proper chemical balance to keep those thoughts out of your head. So please...speak with a doctor...they can help. I have gone through those feelings and found out, that it was due to a chemical embalance in my brain. So please seek help.

Robbed
03-25-2008, 06:26 PM
I would seriously reccomend seeing a psychiatrist, as these are not feelings you want to be having. Depression and Anxiety are often linked. So it's possible your brain is not producing the proper chemical balance to keep those thoughts out of your head. So please...speak with a doctor...they can help. I have gone through those feelings and found out, that it was due to a chemical embalance in my brain. So please seek help.

Ah, the 'chemical imbalance' theory of depression/anxiety. I'm not saying that levels of certain chemicals in your brain have NOT deviated from normal. But, contrary to what Big Pharma would like you to believe, the 'chemical imbalance' is most likely the RESULT of your anxiety state rather than the CAUSE of it. After all, I'm guessing that, like MOST depression/anxiety sufferers out there, you were probably OKAY until you started to suffer from depression/anxiety at some point later in your life (often late 30s/early 40s). And genetics just don't work this way.

So what's up with these thoughts? Well, obsessive-type thoughts are VERY, VERY, VERY common with anxiety disorders. For instance, having thoughts of harming others OR being harmed yourself are among the most common. But such things as suicidal thoughts or thoughts of spontaneous human combustion are big ones as well. And suicidal thoughts are not even really that crazy - especially given the common view by the medical community that depression/anxiety problems are the result of an 'inescapable' chemical imbalance, and that unsavory medications are the ONLY solution. In other words, doctors, psychologists, and psychiatrists paint such a grim, fatalistic picture of anxiety that suicide would appear to be the ONLY way out.

Luckily, it's not. As I said before, your suicidal thoughts are simply the result of your anxiety state. And once your anxiety is reduced, the thoughts will disappear along with it. It only SEEMS like they will never go away. So what should you do? When you have suicidal thoughts, just let them pass. Don't try to force them from your head. But also don't engage them. Recognize them simply as tricks of a mind in an anxiety state. As you do this when you have such thoughts, or when you have ANY disturbing anxiety symptoms, your anxiety will gradually abate. But, as I always say, be prepared to give this time. Be prepared to live with symptoms over the next few months to few years (although they will generally decrease). And be prepared for those times that symptoms will increase for no good reason. All of these things are just part of the recovery process. It may not be easy. But it sure sounds ALOT better than believing that you have a chemical imbalance, and that you will forever be shackled to meds, doesn't it?

As for seeing a psychiatrist, this may or may not be a good idea. Keep in mind that counseling is not what a psychiatrist does. Psychiatrists prescribe medications, plain and simple. And while there is a chance meds might be helpful in the short term, they can also cause LOTS of problems. Furthermore, a psychiatrist will probably push their rather fatalistic view of anxiety on you, and suggest that it is a lifelong problem from which recovery is not going to be possible AND that lifelong meds will be required. This can be VERY bad for someone who already has a HUGE fear of anxiety disorder. After all, you DON'T want to hear that this is your lot in life - especially when it probably isn't. I personally would not go this route unless everything else proves to be a bust.

Therapy COULD be helpful, however, provided you find a good therapist. But this is easier said than done. Also, even though therapists can't prescribe meds, MANY share with doctors and psychiatrists the same fatalistic view when it comes to depression/anxiety.

Robbed
03-25-2008, 07:10 PM
The anxiety I suffer from makes me believe (irrationally I know)that suicide is the only way out of my current mess. Will I always believe this or does the mind move onto others solutions?

I don't mean to be a nag about this. But remember what I told you the other day: be prepared to live with obsessive thoughts for some time. They are not going to go away in a couple of days, and will likely change from time to time.

SCOTT A LEADER
03-26-2008, 02:38 AM
Thank u for the reply Robbed. It makes a lot of sense. Just these thoughts are very scarey.

Healthcalm
03-26-2008, 03:42 PM
I know the feeling all too well. I am trying meditation for my worries. And I things are improving, my best friend says he can tell the difference after only a short time. I still have scary thoughts, but they don't affect me as bad as they used to.

You will feel better, and there are things you can do to help yourself through.