PDA

View Full Version : Citalopram + Alcohol

andrewmaiden
02-21-2014, 01:33 PM
Hi guys this thread is related to taking the antidepressant citalopram and drinking alcohol whilst using. Im looking for differeny people experienced or problems and im goin to go through mine with you all.

Some background info... im 23 and ive been suffering with anxiety and panic attacks for around 2 years now! I think the source of this came from being hungover after a night out in newcastle (uk) and driving the 3 hour journey back the next day experiencing shooting pains and pressure on my chest which i linked to a heart ayyack and thus triggering my anxiety and panic.

Things have gotten to a point where i am now taking 20mg of Citalopram once a day before bed. I am not someone who drinks much in the week but come the weekend i am very much classed as a binge drinker!

At first i started not taking my citalopram when i knew i would be going out i.e fridays and saturdays, i have since found out that stoping taking the medication for any reason other than medical is ill advised and u should always continue taking the medication!

However at first when i stopped taking citalopram the day after would be hell i would feel like utter death. I would come in from drinkinv around 3to4am i would then find myself awake at stupid times like 5 or 6. It would be impossible for me to get back to sleep so my sleeping pattern would be completely disturbed!as alcohol is a depressant it would often trigger my anxiety further and what i have since found out from reading the information provided with citalopram is that if u stop taking it for any reason it can trigger many symtoms of anxiety i.e shaking/sweating/dizzy and restless!

Alot of people who i have saw on different websotes speak about blacking out and not remembering anything while drinking on citalopram i personally have not experienced this. But what i can say about it is moderation is definetly.a must remember what u are doing is technically cancelling out ur anti depressant. And also always remember to eat before and after drinking..m i would experience alot of stomachs aches and cramps after a dri king spree but i rarely ever sat afterwards due to ill how i felt but food is a must ur body needs all the energy it can get to perform efficiently after filling yourself with alcohol.

Please share ur experiences i am keen to learn more and help people as much as i can with my own experinces!

andrewmaiden
02-21-2014, 01:37 PM
I meant " i rarely ever ate afterwards" lol

jessed03
02-21-2014, 02:34 PM
Wow blackouts. I've heard drinking on 5htp causes the same thing.

I drank alcohol on Prozac, Remeron and Citalopram, and 5htp without problems :)

I think my alcohol tolerance did lower though. I got drunk a little quicker.

jessed03
02-21-2014, 02:39 PM
I'm 24, btw!

andrewmaiden
02-23-2014, 12:37 PM
What is 5htp btw?

jessed03
02-28-2014, 01:26 AM
What is 5htp btw?

An amino acid. Meant to be good for serotonin.