PDA

View Full Version : Emotionally Sensitive

jdawgzy
03-11-2008, 11:29 PM
Lately i've been aware of how emtionally sensitive i've become. I spend a lot of game online, chatting or playing games. Well, there's some guys i've been gaming with for about 2years now and we used to joke around with eachother a lot. Well i can give an instance, where one night we we're talking and he was pretending i "bothered him", so to speak. Anyways, he would say like "My hate for you, is so strong" or fake threaten me in some way. When you read it in text, you don't know the person's tone or if they mean it right away. I really figured he was messing around, but it drove me emotionally into a panic attack. I felt scared, that he was really upset with me. Well, after this incident he actually apologized to me. He knows i have a lot of issues with anxiety and he admitted that he "felt like an ass" after what he had done. I don't blame him for any of it, because i mean he's never been in my position and doesn't know how i react to things now. Like i said, before this anxiety started controlling my everyday life(about a year ago) we always used to joke around with eachother.

Another incident was an in-game chat session. There was a topic going around of Christianity and there was a debate going on. Well i shared my thoughts upon the topic and i was saying "If i wasn't given some kind of faith for the problems i have today, i might not of been here today." There was a user who private messaged me saying "Do you really wanna get over depression?"
(me)"Depression isn't all i suffer from, anxiety disorder aswell."
(him)"Easy-fix. I just need to know the source."
(me)"Why have you dealed with such before?"
(him)"Yes, maybe worse than you."
It made me think of what he was trying to do. I wasn't sure if he was going to try and scare me,make me emotionally worse, or actually try to help me,so i didn't share any more personal info.

I also told him, "Well, all minds work differently."
(him)"Nope, all the same."
I didn't understand where he got off thinking all minds work alike, but i guess it could of been his opinion.

These thoughts have still been bothering me the past couple days, so a positive input would really be appreciated.

-Thanks

Dami
07-02-2008, 03:58 AM
I think this is what I feel, or it's similar to what I feel. If someone is upset with me, or says negative comments towards me, I feel sick and their words will run through my head all day and all night until I tell myself to shut up and go to sleep. If someone asks to talk to me about something I'm doing, a bunch of anxiety wells up inside of me because I'm afraid they'll say something bad about me.

I'm not sure what to do either, but you're not alone.

Anxious Frank
07-02-2008, 07:02 AM
(him)"Easy-fix. I just need to know the source."

Haha! If we knew the source of anxiety it would be so easy to fix! What he said is like taking your car to a mechanic because of a rattle and the mechanic saying "Hrmm... If I knew the cause of this rattle, I could fix it!"

Well duh...
:ack:

)"Yes, maybe worse than you."

He doesn't sound to me like an anxiety sufferer. I don't think I can rate the pain I feel against someone elses. Anxiety is a very personal thing.

louisrapisarda
08-13-2008, 05:09 PM
Hey people just remain calm and Positive. I sit down listen to my pm3 or listen to the radio and take all the bad ideas out of the day like some one has put me down or somthing, and remain the good thoughts like some one complimented me. Helps

danstelter
12-31-2008, 10:21 AM
The nice thing about being an adult is you can choose your friends. If you'd like, you can simply remove this person from your life, but it sounds like you guys made up and are on okay ground. I can relate to what you said about taking fairly benign comments very seriously and having it hurt the whole next day... I guess for me that I found that it was best to remember that I am a great person who does a lot of great things. This other person does not really know me and therefore has no real right to make any judgments about who I am. This helps to lessen the anxiety, although I can still be sensitive at times.

colormeintrigued
01-03-2009, 08:59 PM
I've felt this way pretty much my whole life, too. I think it's especially difficult now with e-mail because it really helps to be able to see people face to face when they say such things. It helps me to remember that most people aren't being mean-spirited, they just don't realize how they're coming across. I also try to see the positive side of my anxiety, i.e., that it's trying to tell me something and it's something I can learn from. A book that has really helped me with this is The Highly Sensitive Person by Elaine Aron. I recommend it! At any rate, hang in there and keep thinking positive thoughts, and we'll do the same for you. :)