PDA

View Full Version : Advice on seeking help.

Qwerty02
02-10-2014, 12:06 PM
I won't bore everyone with my massive back story, but I have at least some level of anxiety that's starting to become debilitating. It stems from a potential concussion/ head injury. I’ve visited my MD and a neurologist and they can’t find anything wrong. GAD was brought up but only mentioned briefly.

I would like to seek professional treatment in the form of a psychologist/ psychiatrist/ counselor, etc. but I have no clue what the difference is between all of these entities.

I REALLY would like to avoid medication, if possible.

What are the differences? What’s the best option? Is a Psychiatrist more likely to dispense medication as a solution?

Any advice would be helpful.

Enduronman
02-10-2014, 12:15 PM
1. Costs.
2. Education.
3. Degrees.
4. And yes a Psychiatrist CAN dispense medication whereas others can not...

You should always start small..like a licensed therapists and then see where that goes or if it helps...LCSW I think....cheaper, easier, quicker to get into..

Hope that helps!

PS: Did you have an MRI of the brain?

E-Man....:)

Qwerty02
02-10-2014, 12:38 PM
Which one would be most effective from a treatment standpoint?

No MRI. Head trauma was 5 months ago. Incredibly frustrating trying to determine if these symptoms are caused from a medical or psychological stand point.

Enduronman
02-10-2014, 12:48 PM
OK>>>
Considering you've had no MRI after the head trauma,..I would shoot for the top of the Degree spectrum then and ask to see a Psychiatrist so they can more quickly determine if it is physical or psychological and also order the appropriate testing to prove their suspicions too..They're as highly educated as you can get, MD's.

They're very expensive however..depending upon where you are at least in the States. Unless you are in a country with free healthcare of course...

E-Man..:)

Qwerty02
02-10-2014, 01:47 PM
OK>>>
Considering you've had no MRI after the head trauma,..I would shoot for the top of the Degree spectrum then and ask to see a Psychiatrist so they can more quickly determine if it is physical or psychological and also order the appropriate testing to prove their suspicions too..They're as highly educated as you can get, MD's.

They're very expensive however..depending upon where you are at least in the States. Unless you are in a country with free healthcare of course...

E-Man..:)

Forgive my ignorance but can anxiety be determined from a medical standpoint....like an objectionable test? My understanding is an anxiety diagnosis is based on subjective symptoms.

Thanks for your help.

Fourteen14
02-10-2014, 01:58 PM
Forgive my ignorance but can anxiety be determined from a medical standpoint....like an objectionable test? My understanding is an anxiety diagnosis is based on subjective symptoms. Thanks for your help.

Yes you are right. Most of the testing is done to rule out any biological causes for the symptoms, if you are left with only psychological or "medically unexplained" , then you are normally referred to Psych. Everyone's opinion is different but if it is definitely anxiety, any MD can prescribe you the meds, and I would personally see a psychotherapist, cheaper and the bulk of the work they deal with is anxiety/depression related.

Fourteen14
02-10-2014, 02:13 PM
Ps as E-man points out only a Medical doctor (MD/Psychiatrist) can diagnose medical conditions. Psychologists/therapists are titled depending on education and field and generally cannot write prescription medication.

Qwerty02
02-10-2014, 08:54 PM
Yes you are right. Most of the testing is done to rule out any biological causes for the symptoms...

What would be an example of a biological cause? And what kind of testing would confirm a biological cause?

I'm just totally overwhelmed at understanding the next step for seeking help.

Chris C
02-10-2014, 10:43 PM
I will say from my own experience if you see a psychiatrist they are going to want to prescribe medication. Very few psychiatrists actually practice therapy anymore. They leave that to psychologists and strictly manage the medication side of things.

Chris C
02-10-2014, 10:46 PM
Oh an example of biological cause could be a thyroid issue. A simple blood test can rule that out.