PDA

View Full Version : Ativan to sleep?

anxietycat
01-24-2014, 09:22 AM
Hello Again-

I've concluded that Ambien is basically making me feel like crap the next day- groggy, headache, anxious and generally more depressed. I am wondering if anyone has ever tried Ativan as a sleeping pill? I still may try lunesta, but since it's in the same category as ambien I am hoping it doesn't have the same side effects. Any advice?

Thanks

Th13thOne
01-24-2014, 09:38 AM
I went as high as 2mg and it did nothing for me. I have sever insomnia though.

I've been using another benzo (Clonazepam/Klonopin) in conjunction with Zopiclone with better success.

Good luck!! :)

venga
01-24-2014, 09:40 AM
I've been using ativan for anxiety and to help me sleep. Works fine for me. :)

anxietycat
01-24-2014, 10:11 AM
I've been using ativan for anxiety and to help me sleep. Works fine for me. :)

Does it hit you like ambien and you pass out or does it moreso relax you? I am mostly relaxed at night, but I just cannot fall asleep or stay asleep once I fall asleep ... not sure what to try next :/

reese
01-24-2014, 02:52 PM
Hello Again- I've concluded that Ambien is basically making me feel like crap the next day- groggy, headache, anxious and generally more depressed. I am wondering if anyone has ever tried Ativan as a sleeping pill? I still may try lunesta, but since it's in the same category as ambien I am hoping it doesn't have the same side effects. Any advice? Thanksi take 1mg of ativan every night to sleep. If I don't I wake up into panic attacks within two hours of falling asleep. It's the only thing that works for me. It relaxes you but also can make you tired, it only lasts 4-6 hours so if you make sure to take it 8hrs ahead of the time you need to get up you shouldn't feel groggy, be careful though it's very easy to develop a habit on it so you should let your doc know if you're doing this.

anxietycat
01-25-2014, 06:41 AM
I chickened out and took my regular ambien which of course only gave me 4-5 hours of sleep. When am I ever going to learn? I'm terrified to try anything else for fear that it won't work and I'll just be laying there.

reese
01-25-2014, 06:47 AM
I chickened out and took my regular ambien which of course only gave me 4-5 hours of sleep. When am I ever going to learn? I'm terrified to try anything else for fear that it won't work and I'll just be laying there.

Maybe you could try the ativan on a night where you don't have to get a ton of sleep? Don't beat yourself up over taking the ambient, you're doing the best you can with what you have right now! Stay strong

anxietycat
01-25-2014, 06:52 AM
thanks reese- i needed to hear that. i am beating myself up so bad over this sleep thing. it's sent me into a downward spiral of depression that i've never had before. on one hand it could be the ambien side effects, but on the other hand I think it's the combo of little sleep/beating myself up over it. I'm just ready to be normal again.

Maybe you could try the ativan on a night where you don't have to get a ton of sleep? Don't beat yourself up over taking the ambient, you're doing the best you can with what you have right now! Stay strong

reese
01-25-2014, 07:00 AM
thanks reese- i needed to hear that. i am beating myself up so bad over this sleep thing. it's sent me into a downward spiral of depression that i've never had before. on one hand it could be the ambien side effects, but on the other hand I think it's the combo of little sleep/beating myself up over it. I'm just ready to be normal again.

I think the hardest thing about anxiety is getting used to a new version of normal. Sometimes accepting that this is where you are right now helps. My worst days are when I fight myself saying I need to be better now, or I need to be normal now. What I need to do is realize that I'll be okay, even if I just have to get used to being a person with daily anxiety for the rest of my life, it sounds counterproductive but it stops me from blaming myself for something that I didn't ask to happen to me.