PDA

View Full Version : Different Doctor, Different Outcome

MiST
01-16-2014, 03:06 AM
Hey,

Some of you may know that i went to see the doctor last week and he pretty much blew me off, he wasn't interested in anything i had to say related to my anxiety.

Today i ohoned the surgery again and asked to see another doctor because i was not happy with the care i received from the previous visit. To my surprise they agreed and got me an appointment today.

The doctor i saw was very nice, he understood what i was telling him and was very professional.

I now have some med's to get started with: Propranolol and Venlafaxine

:D

em1
01-16-2014, 03:13 AM
Oh that's fab news :) the propanol is really good I've been on and off this for years
What dose you on mist?

MiST
01-16-2014, 03:24 AM
Three a day..:D But he said i can take more if i feel i need it.

I just read it's used in sex change patients! I'm not going to turn into a woman am i? http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m187/Avavavavaaa/gifs/scared.gif

em1
01-16-2014, 03:38 AM
Three a day..:D But he said i can take more if i feel i need it. I just read it's used in sex change patients! I'm not going to turn into a woman am i?

Lol I very much doubt that mist lol
They are really really good I highly recommend them to
Anyone

JLBnole68
01-16-2014, 03:43 AM
That's great news. Amazing the difference in attitudes among doctors. Some suck. Some are great. Makes all the difference. You are hilarious! 9 out of 10 men don't turn into women. You're probably safe. :p

MiST
01-16-2014, 03:50 AM
9 out of 10 men don't turn into women. You're probably safe. :p

I'll take those odds..:D

Yea, a world of difference between the two.

jessed03
01-16-2014, 04:09 AM
Great stuff mist! Shows what a clown the other one was!

If you turn into a woman, post pics if you're a sexy one

em1
01-16-2014, 04:11 AM
Great stuff mist! Shows what a clown the other one was! If you turn into a woman, post pics if you're a sexy one

Lol love the fact that you have a fab sense of humour,that's so good
To have

Chatative
01-16-2014, 04:15 AM
If you turn into a woman, post pics if you're a sexy one

I think there is more chance MiST will turn into a cat than a woman. :p

But that's great news. I'll probably be going to see the doc early next week myself & see what happens.

MiST
01-16-2014, 04:19 AM
I think there is more chance MiST will turn into a cat than a woman. :p

If i was a cat i would be scared that Jesse would put salad cream on me and put me in a sandwhich..

Good luck at the doctors Chatative, i hope you get a good one and get the help you want..:D

Chatative
01-16-2014, 04:28 AM
Good luck at the doctors Chatative, i hope you get a good one and get the help you want..:D

I hope so too! I think any doubts about my Doctor was just my health anxiety speaking.

PS - If you do turn into a woman instead of a cat, all is not lost:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/ed/PfeifferCatwoman.jpg/220px-PfeifferCatwoman.jpg

MiST
01-16-2014, 04:30 AM
I hope so too! I think any doubts about my Doctor was just my health anxiety speaking.

PS - If you do turn into a woman instead of a cat, all is not lost:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/ed/PfeifferCatwoman.jpg/220px-PfeifferCatwoman.jpg

LOL mate, or..http://www.evilmilk.com/pictures/Cat_Lady_Tattoo.jpg

Chatative
01-16-2014, 04:34 AM
Oooh man. Hard choice...

Hmm, err... I think I'll have to go with Michelle Pfeiffer.

Enduronman
01-16-2014, 05:27 AM
This is great news!!! Finally, a competent MD!!!! Congrats bruh! :)

raggamuffin
01-16-2014, 05:55 AM
I went through every Dr in the village surgery (6 of them). Once i'd gone through all of them I looked into who was most helpful consistently and opted to see them regularly. Some Dr's are more sympathetic than others. Some just want to get peope in and out as quickly as possible and come across like they resent or are downright bored and unfulfilled with their jobs.

Hope you find the medications helpful. Remember these should always be paired with therapy to attack anxiety/depression via 2 methods at the same time.

Ed

Dahila
01-16-2014, 09:00 AM
Mist fantastic news. The doc was GP or Psychiatrist?

NeverToo...Fear
01-16-2014, 09:11 AM
Yes, MiST, simply great news that you switched Docs.. I had to go through several to find a good one. I used to think all Doctors were created in equal in their compassion and care, but I've learned the hard way that that is simply not the case!

Good luck to your new meds working out ! :)

MiST
01-18-2014, 02:02 AM
Update:

Had a really bad reaction to these meds and spent the last 48 hours in bed freaking the hell out. Went back to the GP who pulled me off the anti-depressants.

ab123
01-18-2014, 02:12 AM
Update:

Had a really bad reaction to these meds and spent the last 48 hours in bed freaking the hell out. Went back to the GP who pulled me off the anti-depressants.

Was it the propranolol?? Did your nerves feel like it was going crazy...your heart felt weirder than normal. Like it was trying to do something and couldn't..and I had the worst brain fog...I.couldn't form correct sentences...I had to stop it...even though it's supposed to help with anxiety. It just blocks adrenaline from getting to your heart, which...my body apparently didn't.like... what happend to you?

MiST
01-18-2014, 02:22 AM
Was it the propranolol?? Did your nerves feel like it was going crazy...your heart felt weirder than normal. Like it was trying to do something and couldn't..and I had the worst brain fog...I.couldn't form correct sentences...I had to stop it...even though it's supposed to help with anxiety. It just blocks adrenaline from getting to your heart, which...my body apparently didn't.like... what happend to you?

With regards to the propranolol. I noticed that my heart rate significantly reduced which at first i thought was nice, not having my chest pounding 24/7 but then i realized that one of my principal means of identifying when i have hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) is a change in heart rate, and not being able to feel it caused even more anxiety.

I took both tablets together so im unsure which caused my side effects, but to list them:

Within 1 hour of taking both tablets:

Nausea
Hot and cold flush's
Shakes
Confusion
Extreme weakness
Fear
Loss of balance
Loss of appetite
Also raised by blood glucose causing keytones in my urine

All in all a horrible 48 hours and i'm hesitant to take the propranolol again even though i still have it.

em1
01-18-2014, 02:27 AM
Do you think the dose of the propanol was to high? What are you on now mist?

JLBnole68
01-18-2014, 02:32 AM
Bless your heart. I've never taken propranolol, so I'll defer to the folks who have experience with it. Just wanted to say I hope you get the side effects straightened out. Sending good vibes your way!

ab123
01-18-2014, 02:37 AM
With regards to the propranolol. I noticed that my heart rate significantly reduced which at first i thought was nice, not having my chest pounding 24/7 but then i realized that one of my principal means of identifying when i have hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) is a change in heart rate, and not being able to feel it caused even more anxiety.

I took both tablets together so im unsure which caused my side effects, but to list them:

Within 1 hour of taking both tablets:

Nausea
Hot and cold flush's
Shakes
Confusion
Extreme weakness
Fear
Loss of balance
Loss of appetite
Also raised by blood glucose causing keytones in my urine

All in all a horrible 48 hours and i'm hesitant to take the propranolol again even though i still have it.

Everything besides the shakes is what I got from the propranolol. I was on 20 mg morning...20 mg night. Told my Dr the effects...and she told me to keep taking it. Yeah. Not happening. Good luck to you. I think it's the propranolol.

em1
01-18-2014, 02:43 AM
I've been on propranolol for years in and off but I think every med
Don't work for everyone or we would all be on the same one,tho they do go down to 5mg so if anyone was going to try it maybe start off on the lowest dose

JLBnole68
01-18-2014, 02:45 AM
Has anybody who had bad side effects tried breaking the dosage in half or taking maybe a quarter of a pill with any luck? I'm just curious. I was going to ask my doc about it, but don't want to take it if it does all this.

ab123
01-18-2014, 02:48 AM
The medication can work wonders for some though, it is a very safe drug I just think it has to do with your body chemistry

em1
01-18-2014, 02:52 AM
Has anybody who had bad side effects tried breaking the dosage in half or taking maybe a quarter of a pill with any luck? I'm just curious. I was going to ask my doc about it, but don't want to take it if it does all this.

I've never had any side affects on this at all :)

em1
01-18-2014, 02:53 AM
A lot of surgeons actually take it be4 they do operations as it steadies their hands

JLBnole68
01-18-2014, 02:55 AM
I read that. It sounds promising. I don't want to throw the baby out with the bath water just yet. I know these things affect people differently.

em1
01-18-2014, 02:58 AM
Yes of course,like I said they do come in a 5mg dose,I was on that dose for years and then 10mg three times a day but that's still a low dose to
It goes a lot higher if you need it,feel free to message me if you have any questions abit it :)

JLBnole68
01-18-2014, 03:18 AM
Thanks, em! I appreciate the info. If I go that route after talking to my doc, I probably will hit you up with questions.

em1
01-18-2014, 03:43 AM
Thanks, em! I appreciate the info. If I go that route after talking to my doc, I probably will hit you up with questions.

No problems fire away when ready :)