PDA

View Full Version : Coming Off Escitalopram Advice

Liz0828
12-31-2013, 02:31 PM
Hi

I have only been on Escitalopram for 18 days. I started out with 5MG for the first 12 days and now I am on 10MG. I have found that this medication is not for me and I would like to try other ways of dealing with my anxiety. Has anyone ever had any experiences getting off this drug when you were only on it for a short time? Not sure if I should go back down to 5M or 7.5MG. Also, if anyone has any experiences with vitamin supplements that help, please let me know what has worked for you.

Thanks everyone.

em1
12-31-2013, 02:54 PM
It does take 8 weeks for meds to work,maybe give it a chance? Also have you had your vitamin D looked at ?

Liz0828
01-01-2014, 05:41 PM
It does take 8 weeks for meds to work,maybe give it a chance? Also have you had your vitamin D looked at ?

I have never had my Vitamin D checked before. I just feel like a zombie on these meds and have read the horror stories of coming off of it. I figure I should stop while I'm less then a month in.

Evanchic
01-01-2014, 06:15 PM
i was on it for a couple of weeks. made me zombie like also and gave me "brain zaps" i took half of 20mg for 6 days then whole one thereafter. it set my whole body on FIRE with the whole pill. i asked a different doctor about stopping the meds. i was informed it was OK just to stop. that was a couple months ago. i occasionally still get zaps. doc also informed me to stay away from Celexa's (citalopram) sister drugs since my body couldn't tolerate it. i don't remember the names...lexapro?

Liz0828
01-01-2014, 06:32 PM
i was on it for a couple of weeks. made me zombie like also and gave me "brain zaps" i took half of 20mg for 6 days then whole one thereafter. it set my whole body on FIRE with the whole pill. i asked a different doctor about stopping the meds. i was informed it was OK just to stop. that was a couple months ago. i occasionally still get zaps. doc also informed me to stay away from Celexa's (citalopram) sister drugs since my body couldn't tolerate it. i don't remember the names...lexapro?

Yes, Escitalopram is the generic for Lexapro. I was scared just to stop taking it because of all the withdrawal nightmares I have read about. You were only on it for 6 days before you stopped taking it and you are still getting the brain zaps?

Evanchic
01-02-2014, 05:33 AM
i took it for 10 days. after the 6th day, i began taking the whole pill as directed. that's when my burning was at its worst. my primary wouldn't return my calls so i went to a different doctor. they advised me to stop taking it because my body couldn't tolerate it.the brain zaps are few and far between now. ask your doctor. you might have to taper? the doctor who advised me to come off it told me it was OK to just stop BC i wasn't on it long.

jjh333
01-08-2014, 02:46 PM
I started with 5 mgs of Lexapro about a year ago. I hated the way it made me feel for the first few weeks, but stayed with it because of my doctors advice. One year later, I am still on 5 mgs and I think it ended up helping a lot! Did you end up trying to taper off of it?

Enduronman
01-08-2014, 02:52 PM
I started with 5 mgs of Lexapro about a year ago. I hated the way it made me feel for the first few weeks, but stayed with it because of my doctors advice. One year later, I am still on 5 mgs and I think it ended up helping a lot! Did you end up trying to taper off of it?

I found one!! I have never seen a posted reply of a member that said that they liked (Lexapro) and here it is...YAY!!!

Could you do a post thread about it in the medications section???????........:)

E-Man..

jjh333
01-08-2014, 02:57 PM
Yes I will!