PDA

View Full Version : What gives

Blessed
12-15-2013, 05:36 PM
Why oh why oh why can I be perfectly calm then my heart starts skipping beats one right after the other ? This is driving me batty. Anyone else frustrated like me?

kketchupp
12-15-2013, 05:56 PM
Happens to me too. Mostly when I'm going to bed! Hate it..

artaud
12-15-2013, 07:13 PM
Why oh why oh why can I be perfectly calm then my heart starts skipping beats one right after the other?

Hi Blessed.

If I had a dollar for every time I had yelled out in frustration when the same thing happened to me (over the years), I'd be a millionaire by now. I usually tell my wife "I'm just sitting here, calm, minding my own business, and out of the blue" (I get hit with a run of PVCs or a short episode of SVT, whichever one applies). She has heard this so many times before. It does suck though, just when you finally get your mind off of them they have to make their nasty presence known.

Be well.

Blessed
12-15-2013, 07:18 PM
Please remind me how long you have experienced these ? Have you ever passed out ?

artaud
12-15-2013, 07:35 PM
Please remind me how long you have experienced these ? Have you ever passed out?

Not sure what you mean? I get them all day long, PVCs that is, hundreds into the lower thousands. What I'm talking about is the periods where you think the PVCs have declared a cease fire and you start to relax, when suddenly they come out of no where. I've never passed out from anything, arrhythmia or otherwise.

Blessed
12-16-2013, 11:10 AM
Ok, yes that's what I was asking. Will we always experience these? I mean is it normal to go thru an entire lifetime experiencing this ?

artaud
12-16-2013, 12:14 PM
Unfortunately you won't notice their absence like you notice their presence. I would say very few people go through a lifetime of intense premature beats. Try to avoid stress, definately avoid caffeine, diet pills, many cold medications, illicit drugs, anything known to speed up your heart. I seriously think that proper breathing and enough sleep is the best way to start reducing them.

There is a process known as Respiratory Sinus Arrhythmia, it's natural and more pronounced in children and young adults. When we breathe in, our heart rate increases slightly, as we breathe out, our heart rate slows slightly. If we hyperventilate, we're breathing in/out too often, and the Vagus nerve is always trying to adjust your heart rate faster and slower. I think this adds to the premature beats that some people get. I've noticed that, at times, I can reduce the number of PVCs I get by trying to breathe more naturally.

Make sure you get 6 to 8 hours of sleep every night. If there's TV shows on late that you like, record them and watch when convenient. I get up for work at 4:15, I'm in bed every night at 8:30 to 9:00 at the latest.