PDA

View Full Version : Herbal Treatment instead of Drugs?

babycristy
10-29-2005, 11:35 PM
I was just wondering if anyone here has tried herbal remedies for their anxiety instead of medications (ssri's, benzo, etc...). What were their side effects and were they effective in any way? Did they relieve anxiety? Or were they a waste of time and money? I do not want to start medications since I am only 19 and do not want to be dependant on them. I ran into this "potent formula" or natural herbs, and it sounds promising, (but so does everything else :roll: ) The name of it is Clarocet NRI. Has anyone here tried it? Did it work? If, not, still give your input about herbal remedies...

Thanks!

shoe
11-01-2005, 08:58 AM
Babycristy,

I looked into Clarocet once, and was pondering taking it - but I noticed that they change the ingredients now and then, which does not make me comfortable with the idea of taking their herbs at all. I assume the testimonials on their site are probably false.

There's an 'Herbs & Supplements Alternatives' post in the Resources section, you could check out some of the articles I've linked to in there if you like.

Over the years I've heard and read about success with certain types of herbs- Kava-Kava for anxiety(although that has risk factors if you take it constantly), St. John's Wort for depression, variants of vitamin B for anxiety, and I've actually used SAM-e for depression. Actually, SAM-e isn't an herb, it's chemically manufactured - but the chemical itself occurs naturally within the body.

Also, 5-HTP has gotten some decent results in some people - but for me it did nothing. I've recently read that it has to be taken in much larger dosages than recommended on the bottles in order for it to be effective though.

Passionflower & Valerian Root also supposedly help as calming agents.

Also, 'alternative therapies' in the Resources section might be worth checking out too - things such as aromatherapy can help put you in a calm state as well.

hope it helps :)
dan

babycristy
11-01-2005, 11:35 AM
Well, I took some herbal ones this past weekend (clarocet) but I made myself throw them up on the second day :oops: . I hate intaking things into my body, it was the main reason why I started to get anxiety attacks in the first place (marijuana :( )

Ever since then, I learned a lesson and am a bit scared to take any medications or herbal supplements for their side effects. I am just paranoid or something i guess.

However, these past two days I had the courage to face my most anxious things and just roughed them out. They are hell when I am going through it, but I feel proud of myself after for getting through it. I am hoping that I will start to realize how ridiculous it is to be anxious for some situations and maybe it will go away. :!:

shoe
11-01-2005, 02:25 PM
babycristy, didnt give those herbs quite the chance huh hehe.

well, its brave of you to face your fears and do stuff anyway. Thats what courage is all about =)

Part of living with anxiety attacks is learning to just 'ride it out'. To let the feelings wash over you and accept them as part of who you are and try not to be freaked out about them, but instead to just realize they will eventually go, especially if you surrender yourself to them instead of fighting them.

Easier said then done, I know. But its one of the philosophies of facing anxiety.