PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone out there have any positive outcomes?

Terre Nova
12-09-2013, 09:15 PM
Please i'm desperate to read some success stories.. Feeling terrified and hopeless... Something good about meds helping?? In the middle of an attack trying to think positive but its getting the better of me :'(

Lee Grant Irons
12-09-2013, 09:26 PM
Hi Terre,

I have a positive outcome. It required very thoughtful and directed effort to get my thoughts and perspectives under control so that my anxiety no longer had control. I was on regular, twice per day doses of Ativan and then Xanax while working on getting control of my mental state. Then, once I had more control of my mental state, I was able to wean off of the Xanax and work on solving my impossible problem with my health. It worked. I got the right diagnosis and right medicine 5 years after my health crash. So it can be done.

What I did to get control of my mental state I have written about in Chapter 2 of my book (click here to read it) (http://leeirons.blogspot.com/2013/12/sane-chapter-2-free-falling.html). I have written about my methods and tools so other people can try to use them for themselves. I hope this can help you.

jessed03
12-09-2013, 10:07 PM
It's always quite hard to see the positives, as a lot of people who have recovered are out living life, rather than talking about it, and all you end up seeing are a lot of those still struggling. It can appear as though not many people get to break out.

It's always good to put a plan in place. To have an idea of what recovery looks like, and the stages you go through to get there. Because there are stages. Similar to the 5 stages of grief, there are stages to anxiety recovery, and when you look at people who have anxiety, they seem to pass through each one.

Things like this are a little too complex to write in a short space on a forum, but there are many good books which document this. Lee seems to be writing a book that describes his process. The anxiety and phobia workbook is a good place to begin too. It's very cheap and simple. Available on amazon.

Anyway, my anxiety was once so bad I was put onto suicide watch in my local hospital. My family hid all pills, all sharp instruments, and took turns to sit with me for weeks, as they couldn't trust me alone. I met a nice psychiatrist who put me on some medication, and it took the edge off. I wasn't happy, but didn't want to kill myself. Everything seemed slower, and easier to digest.

I noticed at that point (after a year of derealization) that there was a lot I was doing wrong.

I'll try talk through a few things I did really quick, which were very very helpful.

There was a lot wrong with my thinking styles and habits. My body wasn't in tip top shape either, I had a few niggling health issues. I noticed my body had learnt to live in a perpetual state of tension and anxiety, even when I felt relaxed. I went about using techniques to lower my base level of stress. I assumed my hormonal issues were off, and took supplements to help my adrenals and my blood sugar. I went on a diet rich in nutrients and low in the bad stuff.

My spiritual life was rather anaemic. I wasn't following my dreams, and I wasn't living anywhere near at the level I wanted to be. I felt insecure and jealous of things, instead of connected and peaceful. I begun to revolve my life more around what made me happy. I begun to let go of control. I begun to take on the attitude of, I will do my absolute best, then let the chips fall where they may.

My brain chemistry was certainly out of whack, so I used a combination of drugs to help rebalance my serotonin levels. My dopamine levels must have been messed up too, so I engaged in active setting and achieving of goals to promote production of it. I encouraged the burning of adrenaline by regular exercise. I begun to see all the things in my life, all the thoughts, all the ideas, all the situations, which were encouraging adrenaline output. I changed what I could, including my reactions to them, my involvement in them, and my default thoughts that arose when those events occurred.

I worked on my self esteem, so that I was no longer so afraid of death, or missing out on life. I begun to get my confidence in myself, my body and my mind back. I begun to deal with issues from my past that I dont think I had dealt with before. My days become filled with value, rather than empty as they had been before.

I learnt all of my triggers. I could see how my mind was playing be daily. I could see the struggle for control that each emotion and thought was engaging in. I saw the tricks they used, and the deceitful lies they told in order to get the attention they wanted. I became more of a watcher of the mind, rather than a participant.

I found humour.

There's lots you can do :) sorry my post can't be more specific as to how I went about doing each of these things. It would be a few pages long otherwise :p. When you're in a real bad spot, and feel down in the dumps, just learn something. Learn anything :) that's part of the secret to a healthy mind.

Engaging in some kind of program helps. Sometimes it's hard to know what to do, when to do it, and how. I'm not sure if Lees book is specifically about anxiety. If not, I'd be happy to talk through some things with you, to give you an idea of the best place to go.

Keep your spirits up. I have an inbox full of messages from people just on this site, who I've got to know and are now better and living life :)

Terre Nova
12-09-2013, 10:18 PM
It's always quite hard to see the positives, as a lot of people who have recovered are out living life, rather than talking about it, and all you end up seeing are a lot of those still struggling. It can appear as though not many people get to break out.

It's always good to put a plan in place. To have an idea of what recovery looks like, and the stages you go through to get there. Because there are stages. Similar to the 5 stages of grief, there are stages to anxiety recovery, and when you look at people who have anxiety, they seem to pass through each one.

Things like this are a little too complex to write in a short space on a forum, but there are many good books which document this. Lee seems to be writing a book that describes his process. The anxiety and phobia workbook is a good place to begin too. It's very cheap and simple. Available on amazon.

Anyway, my anxiety was once so bad I was put onto suicide watch in my local hospital. My family hid all pills, all sharp instruments, and took turns to sit with me for weeks, as they couldn't trust me alone. I met a nice psychiatrist who put me on some medication, and it took the edge off. I wasn't happy, but didn't want to kill myself. Everything seemed slower, and easier to digest.

I noticed at that point (after a year of derealization) that there was a lot I was doing wrong. There was a lot wrong with my thinking styles and habits. My body wasn't in tip top shape either, I had a few niggling health issues. I noticed my body had learnt to live in a perpetual state of tension and anxiety, even when I felt relaxed. I went about using techniques to lower my base level of stress. I assumed my hormonal issues were off, and took supplements to help my adrenals and my blood sugar. I went on a diet rich in nutrients and low in the bad stuff.

My spiritual life was rather anaemic. I wasn't following my dreams, and I wasn't living anywhere near at the level I wanted to be. I felt insecure and jealous of things, instead of connected and peaceful. I begun to revolve my life more around what made me happy. I begun to let go of control. I begun to take on the attitude of, I will do my absolute best, then let the chips fall where they may.

My brain chemistry was certainly out of whack, so I used a combination of drugs to help rebalance my serotonin levels. My dopamine levels must have been messed up too, so I engaged in active setting and achieving of goals to promote production of it. I encouraged the burning of adrenaline by regular exercise. I begun to see all the things in my life, all the thoughts, all the ideas, all the situations, which were encouraging adrenaline output. I changed what I could, including my reactions to them, my involvement in them, and my default thoughts that arose when those events occurred.

I worked on my self esteem, so that I was no longer so afraid of death, or missing out on life. I begun to get my confidence in myself, my body and my mind back. I begun to deal with issues from my past that I dont think I had dealt with before. My days become filled with value, rather than empty as they had been before.

I learnt all of my triggers. I could see how my mind was playing be daily. I could see the struggle for control that each emotion and thought was engaging in. I saw the tricks they used, and the deceitful lies they told in order to get the attention they wanted. I became more of a watcher of the mind, rather than a participant.

I found humour.

There's lots you can do :) sorry my post can't be more specific as to how I went about doing each of these things. It would be a few pages long otherwise :p. When you're in a real bad spot, and feel down in the dumps, just learn something. Learn anything :) that's part of the secret to a healthy mind.

Engaging in some kind of program helps. Sometimes it's hard to know what to do, when to do it, and how. I'm not sure if Lees book is specifically about anxiety. If not, I'd be happy to talk through some things with you, to give you an idea of the best place to go.

Keep your spirits up. I have an inbox full of messages from people just on this site, who I've got to know and are now better and living life :)

Thank you! And feel free to msg me anytime!
I'd love to hear a few of those "good" stories lol
I'm always looking for something positive to hang on to... <3

Terre Nova
12-09-2013, 10:21 PM
Hi Terre,

I have a positive outcome. It required very thoughtful and directed effort to get my thoughts and perspectives under control so that my anxiety no longer had control. I was on regular, twice per day doses of Ativan and then Xanax while working on getting control of my mental state. Then, once I had more control of my mental state, I was able to wean off of the Xanax and work on solving my impossible problem with my health. It worked. I got the right diagnosis and right medicine 5 years after my health crash. So it can be done.

What I did to get control of my mental state I have written about in Chapter 2 of my book (click here to read it) (http://leeirons.blogspot.com/2013/12/sane-chapter-2-free-falling.html). I have written about my methods and tools so other people can try to use them for themselves. I hope this can help you.

Thank you Lee.. I'll give it a read when my nerves have calmed a bit.. This has been a lifelong journey and right now it seems to be at an all time hellish high right now!
<3

Lee Grant Irons
12-09-2013, 10:38 PM

I noticed at that point (after a year of derealization) that there was a lot I was doing wrong.

I'll try talk through a few things I did really quick, which were very very helpful.

There was a lot wrong with my thinking styles and habits. My body wasn't in tip top shape either, I had a few niggling health issues. I noticed my body had learnt to live in a perpetual state of tension and anxiety, even when I felt relaxed. I went about using techniques to lower my base level of stress. I assumed my hormonal issues were off, and took supplements to help my adrenals and my blood sugar. I went on a diet rich in nutrients and low in the bad stuff.

I found humour.

This is AWESOME, Jessed! I can see that great minds think alike. LOL I did the same things you are talking about. I managed to methodize what I did. The first part of the method I talk about in chapter 2 of my book (http://leeirons.blogspot.com/2013/12/sane-chapter-2-free-falling.html). The stuff you talked about is exactly what the methods I discuss helps people do. This is great stuff!