PDA

View Full Version : I'm new- Sleep Dread anyone??

marlena_dubbz
11-28-2013, 08:54 PM
Hey Guys! I'm new to this whole forum thing and I hope it helps. I have been so low lately because my anxiety has been on over drive the past week. It's making me miserable. The main and pretty much the ONLY thing causing me this anxiety is sleep. I get afraid of going to sleep, basically the fear that I will never be able to actually fall asleep.

It all started in September of 2007. The night before my first day of my Junior year in High School. I did my normal routine of going to sleep, but that night it all changed. I tossed and turned- not knowing what my problem was. I called my boyfriend freaking out and he said to "Just Relax" (I hate that). So I tried my hardest, but ultimately it has become an obsession.

I just want to know- Does anyone have this fear of falling asleep? Afraid of not getting enough sleep? etc? If so PLEASE give me some advice of what I can do. Because I'm really depressed and want to get rid of this fear of sleep already. Thanks!

lmr019
11-28-2013, 09:07 PM
All the time! Before I get in bed at night I WORRY WORRY WORRY that I won't be able to fall asleep. And then my mind goes crazy and I keep thinking about it. I totally understand why you're upset. I get really down on myself about it too. But we have to remember that it's in our head! And breathe....

JLBnole68
11-28-2013, 11:08 PM
Anxiety is often at its worst at bedtime. Our minds start racing because we're less engaged in our daily activities. Just out of curiosity, do you have a bedtime ritual of things you do to wind down and relax?

marlena_dubbz
11-29-2013, 12:53 PM
Thank you SO much lmr019! I totally feel alone- like I'm the only one who has this problem. I know it's in my head- but i don't how to take control over my own thoughts. Does anything help you?

marlena_dubbz
11-29-2013, 12:57 PM
JLBnole68- I try different rituals, but lately I focus on not being able to sleep that nothing really works. I can't seem to relax. Lately Ive been drinking a lot and taking melatonin and valerian. I didn't sleep until 430 this morning.

PanicPhobia
11-29-2013, 05:29 PM
There is actually a word for being afraid of sleep. Don't remember it off-hand, but it's not all that uncommon.

Is it a fear of actually sleeping? Or is it a fear of not being able to sleep?

marlena_dubbz
11-29-2013, 10:09 PM
it's a fear of not being able to fall asleep.

MissVintage
01-03-2014, 05:25 AM
OMW! Do you know that up until late last year I thought I was possibly the only person who suffers from sleep dread? I will soon turn 28, and since I was 15 I have been tormented by sleep dread. My days were ruled by fears that I just wouldn't fall asleep. i am a little better now, but in much need of help. I have been able to carve a successful career so far, but living with this very real terror is well, terrifying :) I am so grateful to find a community where I can finally speak openly about this. I hope one of you responds. Does anyone have any helpful tips?

janey
01-03-2014, 08:15 AM
Go to a GP, tell him/her you have issues with anxiety and falling asleep. The doc will most likely prescribe you a benzo or sleep-aid. Take one 30 mins before bed. WAM BAM BOOM. You're asleep!

MissVintage
01-04-2014, 02:38 PM
lol! true I suppose, but I'm extremely scared of taking prescription medication. I'm so scared I'll get hooked :-/ I'm set to start seeing a clinical psychologist soon, which will be the first time I've seen one. I just want to start enjoying life already. Its tiring living this way, I must be the only 27 year old who has had the same bedtime for over a decade, and whose friends know that she starts freaking out if she stays out late for dinner (as my bedtime is by 11pm). sigh