PDA

View Full Version : scared

mikecole114
11-27-2013, 07:17 AM
im feeling pretty nervy
ive got my first group counseling session and im scared coz this will be the first time ive ever spoken to someone truly about how im feeling who is not family or a Councillor. im scared of being judged i just hope the other people are similar to me.
any recommendations to chill my nerves?

cheers

meichmann
11-27-2013, 07:38 AM
Don't ever worry about being judged. The people that are there are all in the same boat as you. They are probably thinking the same thing. Just remember:

1) You can't change people's behavior or ways
2) The only thing you can change is how you react to people
3) If someone doesn't like you for who you are or judges you, refer to step 1. It's not your problem, it's theirs. Be yourself, be proud, and be confident. You will be surprised how much better you feel will when you get it all off of your chest.

good luck with your group session and let us know how it went :)

jessed03
11-27-2013, 09:53 AM
I had pretty bad social anxiety, but kind of enjoyed group therapy, so I hope you find it useful too. It was very different to interactions outside, as everybody was there for the same reason. Everybody wanted assurance and validation, and to belong, as well as to get better.

Hopefully you get a good group that you gel with. I used to just relax for a few minutes, and then just start bouncing off of people. Seeing peoples own insecurities and problems being shared, helped me feel a lot more relaxed when being open with mine.

Good luck with it!

littleone123
11-27-2013, 10:47 AM
I was a state when I got to my group meeting I couldn't go in the room and someone eventually came out that was there and encouraged me to go in. And after about 5 mins I had calmed down and I went in and sat with her. She didn't ask me what was wrong on my specific problems because deep down I suppose she knew why I was there. And I really enjoyed the group sessions. And you don't have to say anything if you don't want to at first but being around people that are saying stuff u feel as well will reassure u and make u not feel so alone.

You never know, you may find a friend :) good luck