PDA

View Full Version : Your experiences with lexapro

stocktona
11-23-2013, 11:48 AM
So has anyone taken lexapro? I'm supposed to be but to scared..... 5mg.
In the last few weeks I've been so anxious and getting panic attacks almost daily I'm just tired of it so I cried. Lol. Trying to be normal is hard sometimes.... Just wanted to know what other thought about this medication

jessed03
11-23-2013, 12:03 PM
It varies from person to person, but generally it's pretty good, pretty well tolerated. Sounds like you need something to give you a boost! This could be it.

If you're scared; Find an 'accountability buddy', someone online, or in real life, that's been there and will talk you through it all whilst you start up. What may be scary, or confusing, could just be a normal, passing symptom. It's always nice having that reassurance from somebody who's done it.

Mine was my doctor actually, who's also a family friend. I can't tell you how settling it was to have somebody to talk those first few scary weeks with.

Good luck S!

tailspin
11-23-2013, 12:55 PM
Hi Stocktona, Although I am currently in the process of weaning off Lexapro because it doesn't seem to have helped me very much, I can say that I did not have any bad side effects on it. As Jessed says, this medication is generally well tolerated, and I can certainly vouch for that. Also, you are starting at a low dose, which is exactly the right way to do it.

I know from several people here that Lexapro has helped them a lot, so I would definitely give it a go. Good luck!!

Ritch
11-23-2013, 08:20 PM
I take lexapro at 5mg daily, I personally have found that it helps anxiety more at lower doses. It hasn't caused me any noticeable adverse effects and is one of the friendlier anti-depressants with regards to side effects.

Just remember the worse thing that this medication can do is cause a side effect, that is all. There is no guarantee that it will cause any side effect, but if it does you can use the forum here for support to get you through it, if you feel you cannot tolerate the side effect stop the medication and the side effect will stop :). so my advice is to give it a try.

becki
11-24-2013, 02:59 PM
Lexapro has been wonderful for me and helped me gain control over my anxiety. Please read my old posts about Lexapro.

stocktona
11-24-2013, 03:03 PM
Thank you all for your responses. I will look at your old post about lexapro. But as of right now I've decided against it. I've been reading a lot about controlling it on your own and it gave me a boost of confidence that I'm going to be ok! :) I guess when my psychiatrist said you don't always need and antibiotic I took that as maybe they shouldn't prescribe ad's for everything. Ya know? Thanks again everyone! :)

tailspin
11-25-2013, 12:15 AM
Thank you all for your responses. I will look at your old post about lexapro. But as of right now I've decided against it. I've been reading a lot about controlling it on your own and it gave me a boost of confidence that I'm going to be ok! :) I guess when my psychiatrist said you don't always need and antibiotic I took that as maybe they shouldn't prescribe ad's for everything. Ya know? Thanks again everyone! :)

Good for you!!! You can definitely achieve a lot by making the commitment to get better! Let us know how you're doing!

Stephj526
11-26-2013, 07:22 PM
That's a hard choice, hope it works out for the best! If you decide to take the meds, I can definitely say Lexapro gave me my life back. I was a mess with anxiety, Lexapro was hard the first 2 weeks but now I have 95% anxiety free days (guessing lol).

hiswaywardgirl
11-28-2013, 10:09 AM
That's awesome! Best of luck! :)

I was going to say, I had a good experience with Lexapro (.5mg), it calmed me down and stopped my panic attacks a few years ago when I was having them frequently. But I eventually found the need for fast-acting meds like Xanax and Ativan for high stress situations. And I started taking a B vitamin supplement, which seemed to do a lot more than the Lexapro -- I would be in a great mood on the days I took vitamin B, and feeling horrible/depressed/anxious on the days I didn't. I stopped taking Lexapro almost purely for that reason. And it feels great to be off meds. I still have the Xanax and take it as needed for panic attacks.

So changing your diet, exercising, taking supplements, and exploring natural remedies is the best way to go IMO. Let us know how it works out for you!!

stocktona
11-28-2013, 10:54 AM
Thank you so much :) I've looked into b complex and all that! I'm super excited to start! I also take xanax so I'll just keep that on hand lol.