PDA

View Full Version : Health anxiety

Jessicaleanne1992
11-19-2013, 05:36 PM
How do you deal with it? Mines been in overdrive these past few days like it used to be.

RecurringThoughts
11-19-2013, 06:01 PM
I usually go through the same annoying rhythm of seeing the doctor, feeling good for a little while, and then freaking out that I might have failed to mention an important symptom key to diagnosing what might be plaguing me. Then, I start to realize that I am not enjoying my life and that I should just live day to day, because I am not dead yet, nor do I seem to be dying within the next few days. I guess I deal with it by trying to stay physically active and eating well, although I don't think I am any good at actually dealing with my health anxiety. It seems to always be running me down these days.

epollock
11-19-2013, 08:18 PM
I can relate - - I have been feeling like Im knocking on death's door for a few days now and that I should just live day to day. But its hard to live when youre in pain - - real physical pain. Thankfully I have some friends that TRY to understand what Im going through - - they deal with the paranoia and try to help me find some of the humor in it (like my fear of being addicted to nasal spray -- ya, I see how that could be funny lol) - - but to me, to my mind - its very real and its very scarey.
Right now I am experiencing left shoulder blade pain which travels through to the left part of my chest and down to my left elbow. Now, I know I have been moving heavy boxes in my new apt, I have been playing volleyball and out tipping for wreaths. (I live in Maine) - - all this on top of picking up my niece and nephew to play - - I know that this probably is the cause of my pains. But my broken mind tells me different. I sure do wish that SOMETHING would take this all away!!

RecurringThoughts
11-19-2013, 09:32 PM
Yeah, that sounds like it could be pain related to exercise! I think just trying to forget about the pain helps. It's a hard rule to follow; I try to forget my headaches that are coming and going, but keep thinking that maybe what I should be doing is requesting an MRI. My poor partner has been coming home from work to me freaking out and having to reassure me why I don't have a brain tumor or aneurysm, or that if I do there is nothing a doctor would do about my symptoms right now because they aren't severe enough to raise a red flag.

Anyway, health anxiety sucks, and it's kind of crappy that we do this to our selves when this is the only life we have. We should be making the best of it , rather than obsessing over death.

AnxiousPsychGrad
11-19-2013, 11:27 PM
Health anxiety has plagued me for years. Just recently it has become a debilitating disorder for me, though (not able to leave the house or bed). I've been to 6 doctors in the past month, all of which tell me I'm healthy. My biggest fear is anything to do with the brain or terminal cancer of anything. I've been having these strange pains in my head for over 7 years now. I should realize that if they were not benign, I would be dead by now, but I can convince myself of that. Numerous doctors have told me they were just benign headaches but having HA has made me question any and everything I'm told...even by doctors. I have a neurologist appointment in a week. But as stated above by another poster, I go through cycles. I have plenty of doctor visits within a short period, everything checks out, and I'm fine for a few weeks. Then the cycle begins again.
There is no way around it. We have to face it. That's the only way to beat it.
I truly believe the only way I could live completely anxiety free would be to have a full body MRI every month. Not only is that impossible, I would develop some sort of cancer eventually from the radiation.
I write here not only to help out the poster but to also help myself. Writing out my thoughts makes me realize how silly and crazy they are.
Hope you find some relief soon.

Jessicaleanne1992
11-20-2013, 06:32 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone. It really helps knowing you're not alone in this!!

StaceyK
11-20-2013, 09:15 AM
Hi Everyone,

Just looking at most of the replies, I can relate in some way to everyone if you. I've always been anxious about my health since a child (now 32) but I've found since we can now look up stuff on the net it makes us latch on to illnesses even more.

I've lost 2 relatives both 50 + to cancer in the last 15 months (most recent gran in aug) and I've had what I could only describe as some sort of break down in mid sep. My appeite has been rubbish, I've lost 1.5 stones and initially I was convinced I had a brain tumour - or adrenal cancer because I got bad headaches. Now the headaches have gone, I now have focused my self diagnosis on stomach cancer or ovarian as I real had nausea everyday for 3 weeks. The docs say it's anxiety and I'm now doing CBT but it's just so hard to change my thought. The therapist said it will take a lot of work but CBT can be effective.

I've to stop; checking the net, inspecting my body for lumps, inspecting my stools and urine etc for blood. Health anxiety is not something that I would wish on anyone, to believe that you are dying is terrifying !! I know a lot of anxiety sufferers have in with their heart (thinking it will stop) but when I had it with the heart thing I a went for an ECG and it put my mind at ease to know my heart was ok (that was a year ago).

I think that maybe all us health anxiety sufferers can find ways to perhaps support each other ?

anxiousdad75
11-20-2013, 12:18 PM
I can relate as well - been through everything that everyone is mentioning above. Going through one of those bouts right now and panicking every day and night. I know it really helps knowing there are other people going through the same things.

RecurringThoughts
11-20-2013, 12:59 PM
Oh man, I could not sleep last night because of my health anxiety. I was worrying about brain tumors, aneurysms, and blood clots. It was ridiculous. Today I still have an annoying headache, but I've talked to someone yet again who is convinced they are migraines and not "brain tumor" headaches. Do migraines really come and go everyday for two weeks? I wouldn't believe it, but all the doctors and nurses I have talked to seem to think that's what it is. Anyway, anxiety sucks because I think it puts us all in the horrible position of doubting ourselves and our health care practitioners. There is no consolation for our worries, it seems like. Negative test results don't even help. Ugh, it's an evil plague that I don't think any of us deserve.

On a positive note, I have noticed that when I am good at keeping up with these things, regular yoga and meditation really help me. I recommend them to anyone. Exercising a little everyday also helps, but I think doing things that calm your breathing are super important.

worriedmummy85
11-20-2013, 01:16 PM
How do you deal with it? Mines been in overdrive these past few days like it used to be.

I have had a couple of rough days I just tend to face things head on like actually going to do the things I feel I can't sometimes I feel like I am going to melt down in a shop but I just stop and breathe and it flows away

Alita
11-20-2013, 01:43 PM
Hi there,
healthy anxiety? I think that most anxiety is not healthy. Like stress there is good stress and bad stress. Moods, and emotions; all mental health related. When I get anxious, it is always overeacting to little things. This fast pace of life that we all deal with contributes to these health concerns. Whatever happened to being laid back? Not in this country; Canada I am referring to. I already plan that when I get older to move to a more easy lifestyle and chill.......all the time. For now anxiety is bad for me and just have to find a way to deal with it. Therapy is the answer for me. Anyone else having therapy. Sometimes u just need someone to talk to. Alita

RecurringThoughts
11-20-2013, 02:55 PM
I truly believe the only way I could live completely anxiety free would be to have a full body MRI every month.

I totally feel the same way -- I wish that I could get my whole body inspected for anything possible.

aharris2456
11-20-2013, 05:00 PM
I was having a good day and them bam I got a bit of a headache and its all over from there.

RecurringThoughts
11-20-2013, 08:32 PM
Yeah, my chest started hurting in the right side when I breath in, and now I am certain I have a pulmonary embolism. The doctor thinks I'm weird. :(

rizzle84
11-21-2013, 06:21 AM
I'm trying to distract myself.. Every day

Hannah_28
11-21-2013, 08:03 AM
I think I can relate to this I'm constantly in fear of symptoms that I have and I'm confused by what is anxiety and what is real.

ens22108
11-22-2013, 11:29 PM
I can relate to each and every one of you 😔 this is the worst constantly feeling like you're dying. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. It's so debilitating. I try hard to get through it on my own but right now in at an all time low. I also am so scared of getting schizophrenia. I don't know why or where it came from but I feel like I'm developing it and I'm terrified. No one in my family has it. I read it's genetic. I'm just terrified of having a more serious mental illness than what we already suffer, which is horrible itself.