PDA

View Full Version : How I overcame my anxiety

ykazaka
11-03-2013, 02:27 PM
Hi all,

I registered on this forum so that I can try and help some people, if possible, to overcome their anxiety and depression. I am not a professional psychologist, but I can share the approach and the techniques I used to recover from anxiety. It will probably not work for everyone, but who knows...

I also just started my blog where I will be discussing my story in more detail (happydumbo.wordpress)

If I can help anyone, please reach out.

anxmeg
11-03-2013, 05:13 PM
Share your secrets please!!

ykazaka
11-03-2013, 06:13 PM
I am not good at explaining, so please bear with me :) In my case, there were two concepts that helped get through my anxiety: acceptance and desensitization. I tried medications, biofeedback, deep breathing techniques, meditation, etc. They all helped a bit, but they primarily helped with the symptoms and not with the root of my irrational fears. However, I think that no matter what type of fear you have, unless you face it, you won't be able to overcome your anxiety.

The concept of desensitization probably helped me the most, as when I was having anxiety attacks, I kept telling myself that time after time my mind will get less sensitive to all these intrusive and unwanted thoughts. I started believing that attack after an attack I was becoming stronger, and then my secondary fear of having another attack was becoming weaker.

If you are not familiar with desensitization, it is basically diminished emotional responsiveness to a negative stimulus after repeated exposure. You don't avoid your scary and anxious thoughts, but instead face and accept them. It is very hard in the beginning, but in the long term it gives you so much confidence that you are no longer scared of having another attack.

Hope this helps - if you would like to find out more, let me know

Chris C
11-03-2013, 06:45 PM
This is what Claire Weekes promoted. I recommend anyone read her book Hope and Help for your nerves. It was written in the 60's so it's kinda old school but I wish I had read it a long time ago. It's all about acceptance and letting time desensitize you.

ykazaka
11-03-2013, 08:59 PM
I agree with Chris - this is a wonderful book. What I also like about it is that instead of promoting medications, Claire stresses the importance of self help and self control. Btw, another great book that I found really helpful is "White Bears and Other Unwanted Thoughts" by Daniel Wegner. A little too scientific, but you can only read relevant parts of it.