PDA

View Full Version : Help me

littleone123
10-14-2013, 09:01 AM
Please how do people calm them selves down before an anxiety attack any suggestions. Deep breathing isn't working

sweetypie
10-14-2013, 11:26 AM
Deep breathing only works for the couple of seconds that you are deep breathing. It's never a permanent solution.

The way I calm myself down is one of a couple of ways, depending on the severity of the attack and what happens to work at the time (these things can also help in the middle of an attack):

1. I get a hug or back rub from someone if it's mild. I also might cling to an object that makes me feel safer like my phone or MP3 player.
2. I do something to distract myself like cleaning or I go on a walk (because it's proven if you go for long walks that it helps you relax more) if it's medium. Sometimes to distract myself I watch TV instead of doing some kind of work.
3. There are videos on youtube that I've tried using a couple of times that do self-hypnosis and help you relax. Those can be very helpful, too.
4. You can also try talking, but I find that sometimes that makes things worse rather than better. It depends.

tailspin
10-14-2013, 01:46 PM
Hi littleone. Sorry you are dealing with this. I agree with sweetypie that going out for a walk can be very helpful. In fact, that is my number one coping strategy. Cleaning around the house is another good way for me to use up some of that nervous energy. Distraction is definitely one of the most effective ways for me to deal with bad anxiety. Really just getting up and doing something as opposed to sitting there focusing on it and worrying about it. I find coming to this site helpful too.

Sometimes it just isn't possible to stave off a bad attack. In that situation I just try and ride it out. I remind myself that it (the panic attack) will end at some point and that I will feel better again. Sometimes you just can't fight it and just have to let it do it's thing and then it will pass.

Hope you feel better again very soon!

littleone123
10-14-2013, 02:02 PM
Thanks everyone. I was desperate to go for a walk or drive sat night when I was panicking but it was between 12-4.30am and didn't have anyone to go with and was so tired I thought it was best not to go out on my own as it's not overly safe here. Lol. Time flies for me tho when I have the attacks I couldn't believe when I looked at the clock and it was half 4. So proud of myself for doing it though just wish I wouldn't fret over it happening again.

Never ever thought of using a site like this before but iv found it helps. Also saves me from draining my boyfriend of how I feel 24/7

DodgingRain
10-14-2013, 02:32 PM
I need to do something about whatever is causing the anxiety. As long as I do something that addresses the problem even in a small way I feel a little better.

If I can't do anything about the stressor then I use the strongest distractions I can find. Anything that requires a lot of concentration helps.

tailspin
10-14-2013, 02:48 PM
Thanks everyone. I was desperate to go for a walk or drive sat night when I was panicking but it was between 12-4.30am and didn't have anyone to go with and was so tired I thought it was best not to go out on my own as it's not overly safe here. Lol. Time flies for me tho when I have the attacks I couldn't believe when I looked at the clock and it was half 4. So proud of myself for doing it though just wish I wouldn't fret over it happening again.

Never ever thought of using a site like this before but iv found it helps. Also saves me from draining my boyfriend of how I feel 24/7

Well done for getting through it, littleone!! Sorry it was happening at night. I get those nocturnal panic attacks too and they are awful. And, as you say, it's difficult (and not always advisable) to go out for a walk or drive in the middle of the night (though I have walked up and down my street and around my back yard in the middle of the night before!)

I completely know what you mean about now worrying about it happening again (unfortunately that is the horrible nature of an anxiety disorder, it makes you start fearing future attacks). But this could be a good time to employ some powerful distraction techniques. Each time you catch yourself worrying about "what if it happens again tonight" try really hard not to dwell on those thoughts and to distract yourself instead.

I totally agree with DodgingRain that a task that requires a lot of concentration is very helpful. That's another reason why I like coming to this site. Because when I write a post or a reply I have to concentrate on what I'm saying.

Wishing you the best, littleone!

littleone123
10-14-2013, 02:54 PM
Ye I think my mum would have gone mad if I decided to 'pop for a walk' at 3am. And I was concerned I would fall asleep at the wheel if I drove. Was pacing up and down my room and watching tele and every now and then I would doze off and bang I'm wide awake again in minutes it was like my head was asleep but my anxiety wouldn't let me.

I have found it so comforting knowing other people are exactly like me and that I could help someone with what techniques iv found that have helped and others helping me.

Got some lavender oil today apparently it's good to help u relax so here's to hoping lol

sweetypie
10-14-2013, 03:41 PM
Luckily for me, I have two rottweilers and someone who's always willing to go on a walk with me and my dogs in the middle of the night if I get freaked out, so I can still walk in the middle of the night, but it's still kind of scary.

A good substitute for the middle of the night could be using exercise videos or a treadmill. Pacing is also good. And I think part of what helps me when I go for walks is the cool and fresh air outside, so opening the window while you do this can help some, too.

And yea, it's nice to know there's a whole bunch of other people who are just as hysterical as I am. Although I worry sometimes because it's hard to find people who have the exact same anxiety that I am suffering with now.

I like trying little things like lavender oil. And also, chamomile tea is supposed to help, too! Try that, too!

littleone123
10-14-2013, 03:51 PM
What sort of anxiety do u suffer with? Mines being out of my comfort zone and my phobia of sick.

Ye iv never thought of exercise DVDs that's a good idea I will try that. I'm so lazy everyone says exercise is good for anxiety but iv never tried it.

sweetypie
10-14-2013, 07:41 PM
I'm lazy, too, but exercising helps so much that it's worth it.

I've had anxiety my entire life, so I've had pretty much every kind of anxiety that you can have.

Right now, it's complicated to explain the kinds of anxieties I am suffering from.

cm1983
10-15-2013, 03:10 AM
I always find having a bath is my saviour! my anxiety rears its ugly head mostly in the evening, when im at home, after dinner - the thoughts start creeping in and if i dont distract myself, it will begin a terrible cycle of "what ifs" "he/she hates me" scenarios which are pretty convincing as reality. For some reason if i sit in the bath, play some music from my phone next to me, ill come out of there feeling a whole lot better. Definitely going for a walk helps too, even if i am worrying and thinking the whole way, but its great to get some fresh air and endorphins. I'm also trying to go for a swim once a week.

sweetypie
10-15-2013, 07:02 AM
Yea, all those things help me, too. My fiance also gives me backrubs. They all help me relax and make the bad thoughts I have come less often.

Perses
10-15-2013, 09:20 AM
middle of the night anxiety attacks:

a) sit ups to burn off excess energy - direct the adrenaline to something physically uncomfortable. It's easy to do near your bed. I do groups of 10 until I reach 40.
b) pace in a figure eight while counting backwards from 100 - vary the numbers. I find counting backwards in 7s to be distracting.
c) drink a cool glass of water - I find this helps me because when I have fainted, the first thing people do is give me water to drink. So, I guess I associate it with a post-traumatic recovery moment. Also, you can never drink too much nice clean cool water.
d) chant a mantra or some such affirmative phase. I've memorized poems from Emily Dickinson, Shakespeare, John Donne. In fact, I find focus on one or two lines of poetry in my Norton Anthology to be helpful. It's the comforting beauty of words written long ago that resonate.
e) audio books. I actually can't fall asleep without listening to an audio book. I've listened too: all of Dickens, all of George Elliot, all of Wilkie Collins, all of Conrad, all of Henry James, the Brontes, Tolstoy, Elizabeth Gaskell, Dostoevsky, and a whole host of non-fiction works like histories and biographies. [I guess listening to books reminds me of my childhood.]
f) this too shall pass, this too shall pass.