PDA

View Full Version : Almost out, but not quite...THERE IS HOPE

Drausin
09-16-2013, 09:27 PM
Hey all,

First of all, I want to let you all know - it gets better. I read a few of the titles of the posts on this forum, and I remember when I was like that. Anxiety has been with me all of my life, but it got really bad three years ago. For all of 2010, I had panic attacks, anxiety, depression, derealization, all of it. It was pure hell, and I was scared or sad almost every moment of every day. I tried to talk it out, use CBT, deep breathing, ran, but none of it worked more than temporarily. It ebbed and flowed for me the next two years, but I've finally I've seen the light - mostly.

I got on antidepressants about 4 months ago. Instantly when I did, I felt stronger. I could more easily handle the lows and bring myself out of it more easily. Now, I read blogs, do yoga, drink tea, meditate. I have a whole routine I do nearly every day to compliment the antidepressants and keep me calm, and I feel worlds better. The shroud lifts, and you get some mental peace and quiet. As someone who has suffered for so long, it was an incredible feeling. Because it's mental, it takes a long time to fully heal, so I still have anxieties that won't go away, and they're pretty obnoxious. But now I have my life back. I feel like I have purpose and direction, and I know you can too.

(I'm not saying antidepressants are always the answer, but I'm just saying that they are what's helping me overcome.)

When I was really low last winter, I came to this forum and looked for encouraging posts like this one, for people that could provide some respite from the incessant dark thoughts and sadness. Well here I am, trying to give back, because I've made it. Your life is not over. Believe me, when you get better and you practice acceptance of what happened, you can go on and live a perfectly happy life. I'm living proof.

If anyone has questions, I'll try my best to answer them. Sending all of my love to you guys - hang in there. I know exactly how you feel. Just keep going and take care of yourselves.

patchezzzz
09-16-2013, 09:56 PM
Hey all,

First of all, I want to let you all know - it gets better. I read a few of the titles of the posts on this forum, and I remember when I was like that. Anxiety has been with me all of my life, but it got really bad three years ago. For all of 2010, I had panic attacks, anxiety, depression, derealization, all of it. It was pure hell, and I was scared or sad almost every moment of every day. I tried to talk it out, use CBT, deep breathing, ran, but none of it worked more than temporarily. It ebbed and flowed for me the next two years, but I've finally I've seen the light - mostly.

I got on antidepressants about 4 months ago. Instantly when I did, I felt stronger. I could more easily handle the lows and bring myself out of it more easily. Now, I read blogs, do yoga, drink tea, meditate. I have a whole routine I do nearly every day to compliment the antidepressants and keep me calm, and I feel worlds better. The shroud lifts, and you get some mental peace and quiet. As someone who has suffered for so long, it was an incredible feeling. Because it's mental, it takes a long time to fully heal, so I still have anxieties that won't go away, and they're pretty obnoxious. But now I have my life back. I feel like I have purpose and direction, and I know you can too.

(I'm not saying antidepressants are always the answer, but I'm just saying that they are what's helping me overcome.)

When I was really low last winter, I came to this forum and looked for encouraging posts like this one, for people that could provide some respite from the incessant dark thoughts and sadness. Well here I am, trying to give back, because I've made it. Your life is not over. Believe me, when you get better and you practice acceptance of what happened, you can go on and live a perfectly happy life. I'm living proof.

If anyone has questions, I'll try my best to answer them. Sending all of my love to you guys - hang in there. I know exactly how you feel. Just keep going and take care of yourselves.

Is your derealization gone?

tailspin
09-16-2013, 10:01 PM
Hi Drausin. Thanks for this post. I am so glad you are doing so much better. That is really good to hear. Thanks for sharing!

Drausin
09-16-2013, 10:24 PM
Is your derealization gone?

When I'm not feeling anxious, yes. However, I do still have some deep-seated triggers that I haven't gotten over yet, and when the anxiety comes back I get too into my head and the derealization comes back. When I overcome the anxiety and can clear my head pretty well, I feel very focused and calm - something I could only dream of when I was anxious.

Just remember, when you're in it, it's hard to remember how to get out - BUT when you're out of it, it's hard to remember how you got into it. It's like night and day.

patchezzzz
09-17-2013, 06:37 AM
So this WILL go away:)

Drausin
09-17-2013, 07:12 AM
Yep! It's only there because you're feeling anxious :)

patchezzzz
09-17-2013, 07:42 AM
That's so inspiring. I thought I had brain damage or something:( Do I just simply get off my meds and ignore my anxiety?

Drausin
09-17-2013, 09:03 AM
Nope, not at all! The anxiety is super scary because it tricks you into thinking there's something physically wrong with you, when it's really just you feeling anxious.

And I'm not a doctor so I can't comment on that, but I'd say keep with what your doctor said. The meds are what helped me recover. Anxiety can't just be ignored, it needs to be treated.

patchezzzz
09-17-2013, 11:37 AM
Did you take a benzos or what meds helped?

Drausin
09-17-2013, 02:28 PM
I take Sertraline (generic Zoloft), but different things work for different people

patchezzzz
09-17-2013, 03:17 PM
Yeah I just started on Sertraline:) We're still working out the dosage. Did it like cure your anxiety or did it just put you in a better place so you could fight it yourself?
It seems to be working well for me so far but I also just started so it could be the honeymoon phase :p