PDA

View Full Version : Why doesn't it work the other way around?

tailspin
09-15-2013, 05:45 PM
Something I don't understand is, why is the power of negative thinking so much more powerful than the power of positive thinking?? For example, if I tell myself repeatedly that I'm fine, and that I'm perfectly healthy, why don't I believe that? And why doesn't it make all my symptoms go away? But if I tell myself that I'm really ill, I totally believe that and my symptoms get worse??

Hubert
09-15-2013, 05:57 PM
Because telling yourself something and believing in something are two different things. You gotta believe tha your symptoms are not real and not life threatning!

NixonRulz
09-15-2013, 06:07 PM
Because telling yourself something and believing in something are two different things. You gotta believe tha your symptoms are not real and not life threatning!

Spot on with this.

jayj404
09-15-2013, 08:58 PM
The only way you will get over anxiety is if you understand it. You have to know for a fact that they are just symptoms. Nothing more than just symptoms. It's your bodies defense. You cant tell yourself lies. You are actually not okay. Anybody with anxiety is not okay. It's hell. We know.

tailspin
09-15-2013, 09:13 PM
Thanks for the helpful replies. Yes, definitely, saying something and believing something are two different things.

Also, what forwells says about no point feeding the negative thoughts. That is a big one for me. I feed the negative thoughts and feelings much more than I feed the positive ones. So it's no surprise that they stick around. You reap what you sow, and all that.

Also, what jay says really resonates: "You can't tell yourself lies. You are actually not okay." That is right on. But it's also about seeing it for what it is: An Anxiety Disorder. No more and no less (if that makes sense).

Thanks again.