PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried St. John's wort?

Lost84
09-13-2013, 01:15 PM
I've heard for herbal medication it is quite effective for mild depression and anxiety, can anyone advise? I'm also taking vitamin b12 tablets.

Basketcase
09-20-2013, 10:46 AM
I wouldn't do it. I took some and I had some weird sleep paralysis issue, and hallucinations. Strange thoughts. Thought there was a rotting man in my room. Uhmm. Yeeeeeeeeah. But that's just me, and I seem to be very sensitive to medications and always having reactions. So, it's your choice. Just make sure you're not on any other medications that it might react with. There are some antidepressants out there that shouldn't be mixed with it. Good luck!

Shadowtime
09-20-2013, 09:15 PM
You could give it a try. I remember reading recently that St. John's wort works for depression but was found ineffective for anxiety. The article recommends passion flower instead, which you can take as a supplement or as a tea.

Lost84
09-22-2013, 03:35 AM
I've been taking St. John's for about a week now, I've not really noticed a massive difference apart from a headache so I've been taking it before I go to bed because it also makes me sleepy. I've been away for a few days so that could have also made a difference to my mood.

I will try out some of your recommendations though x