PDA

View Full Version : Just Started Seeing psychiatrist

neuspdvw
11-08-2007, 07:44 PM
I Just started seeing a psychiatrist about 2 1/2 weeks ago after 3 straight nights with no sleep. Im talking multiple panic attacks and chronic anxiety. This has never happened to me so the whole ordeal is very overwhelming. My doctor put me on 0.25 mg of clonazepam (klonopin), 2x a day. It has surely helped and took the edge off, but now im wondering if I will become dependent. I still feel some anxiety but it never develops into shear panic. I mentioned to him about SSRI's and he said we would discuss it more next week. He said something about Zoloft and really light dosing (approx 25mg day). Im wondering if anyone has any advice about this because I feel scared about taking medication. I just have worked to hard in my life to give back everything now just over anxiety. I also feel some agoraphobia setting in because Im afraid to have a panic attack in front of people. Please help! thanks

smbkrn
12-21-2007, 10:19 AM
I can completely relate! I would go for the Zoloft. 25mg is nothing. I started out (reluctantly) 7 years ago on 50mg. Saw great results. I would highly recommend getting on it and not worrying about being on meds. You have this disease and you need to find away to control it. I am still trying to swallow it too. Forums like this help. Especially for men like me who never seem to talk openly about this kind of problem.

jb
11-30-2009, 01:12 PM
Have you ever had to up your dose. I am taking 100 mg but it doesn't seem to be working for my anxiety anymore.

Thanks

redrich2000
12-03-2009, 10:32 PM
I Just started seeing a psychiatrist about 2 1/2 weeks ago after 3 straight nights with no sleep. Im talking multiple panic attacks and chronic anxiety. This has never happened to me so the whole ordeal is very overwhelming. My doctor put me on 0.25 mg of clonazepam (klonopin), 2x a day. It has surely helped and took the edge off, but now im wondering if I will become dependent. I still feel some anxiety but it never develops into shear panic. I mentioned to him about SSRI's and he said we would discuss it more next week. He said something about Zoloft and really light dosing (approx 25mg day). Im wondering if anyone has any advice about this because I feel scared about taking medication. I just have worked to hard in my life to give back everything now just over anxiety. I also feel some agoraphobia setting in because Im afraid to have a panic attack in front of people. Please help! thanks

Firstly, you should make any decisions in consultation with your doctor. But having said that, my doctor is very reticent to prescribe bezo's at all because they are highly addictive. So based on that you'd be better to go onto an SSRI rather than become reliant on clonazepam.

Whatever you do medication wise its important to investigate other treatments such as CBT. These can help immensely especially in preventing relapse.

Robbed
12-04-2009, 07:10 PM
Firstly, you should make any decisions in consultation with your doctor. But having said that, my doctor is very reticent to prescribe bezo's at all because they are highly addictive. So based on that you'd be better to go onto an SSRI rather than become reliant on clonazepam.

Whatever you do medication wise its important to investigate other treatments such as CBT. These can help immensely especially in preventing relapse.

I would DEFINITELY look into CBT. Even if medication ends up working REALLY well for you (and for MANY people, it doesn't), you probably don't want to be on it for the rest of your life. And even if being on it for the rest of your life is not a concern, meds often DO 'poop out' after a period of time (typically after a few years). So it is really best to treat anxiety without meds for the long term.

As far as dependency, ALL medications used to treat anxiety have a risk for dependency. This includes SSRIs. Doctors consider SSRIs to be non-habit forming since people don't crave antidepressants (they are not psychologically addictive). But they can be physically addictive, and sometimes to an EXTREME degree. In extreme cases, withdrawal cannot be avoided even with a very slow taper. Now this may not happen to you. But keep in mind that, despite a doctor's reassurance that SSRIs are 'non-habit forming', they will probably be easier for you to start than to stop.

deadcat2
02-12-2010, 06:18 PM

yeah take an ssri and become impotent or feel like a maniac... I took 10mg of Prozac, slept for 14 hrs, woke up and felt like some psychopathic manic w/no libido... stick with the benzos, addictive but WAY LESS side affects. Plus in my opinion they do the job... quick.

erin051026
05-18-2010, 11:02 PM
Hey,

I too feel what your going through. I am a 25 year old female who has a lot going on for herself, and about 3 months ago I suddenly developed chronic anxiety and panic attacks along with depression due to the daily symptoms of anxiety. It got to the point where I was lightheaded, dizzy, and had chronic headaches with brain fog all day every day. I had constant never-ending thoughts that there was something seriously rong with me. Like a brain tumor, or was having a heart attack. I was constantly worried I was gonna have to go to the hospital. I also would have panic attacks while I was out so I started staying home all the time.

I did have a severe amount of stress and a very traumatic event leading up to the sudden development of the anxiety and panic attacks. So I understand the frustration of wanting to get back to normal quick. I have not sought out a therapist yet, although I am starting to look into it. However, I was just prescribed zoloft last week. I was told to start on 50mg a day but after the very first night i was very ill with nausea and sever trembling. The symptoms stopped later that day and I was told to go down to 25mg. Those symptoms never came back and I dont know if its the medication but the brain fog and lightheaded/dizziness has completely gone away. I am still having bouts of anxiety but nothing like what it has been for the past 3 months. I do notice that after I take zoloft every night it does make me more anxious but it goes away. I am very sensitive to pills and I can tell that the zoloft is in fact working somewhat because (although it may sound weird) it feels like my head is doing a bit of adjusting. Perhaps because it has been on constant alert for the past 3 months? who knows. But i recommend at least trying it at a very small dose like 25mg. After 4 days of being on it, today is the first day I have felt anxious since starting the meds aside from the symptoms right after I take it. It has been very mild though. One thing, which I will ask my doctor about is I have had a constant headache which has been more annoying than painful. So, perhaps just an excedrin will get rid of that...
Anyway, good luck and if you need to talk just about symptoms or whatever feel free to write.