PDA

View Full Version : The randomness of it

tailspin
08-27-2013, 04:09 PM
One of the hardest things for me is the randomness of my anxiety and panic attacks. I guess it's the control freak in me, but even leaving that aside, it just sucks the way these things strike out of the blue. Definitely there are specific situations where I pretty much know I'm going to be super-anxious, so there is a pattern in that sense (for example, going to the dentist or something of that nature is guaranteed to make me anxious) but the rest of the time it's so random. I really hate that part. Like, I'll be sitting watching TV, nothing stressful, and all of a suddenly, I'll start feeling strange. I might get an unpleasant physical symptom, or I'll just suddenly, for no reason, become aware that I'm not feeling quite "right". Then, even though I try not to react to what I'm feeling, oftentimes, the feelings will just escalate. This happens a lot when I'm lying in bed too. In fact, some of the worst panic attacks I've ever had have been at night in the safety of my own home. It's just sooo random. I don't get it and I wish I did. It would definitely help me if I could make more sense of this.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Why my body and mind start freaking out even if I'm not doing anything remotely stressful?

JustAnotherAttack
08-27-2013, 06:39 PM
The same thing happens to me. My life is not full of stress at all...I try to make it that way to make "home" seem perfect and somewhere to relax and be happy.
I'm serious though...I can be doing something that I actually enjoy like watching a movie, reading an article, or even taking a bath and suddenly I have a panic attack.
They come out of nowhere.
I agree with the above poster. It is a chemical imbalance in our brains that cause this...then our fear feeds it and the panic gets worse. Medication is out there to help with the imbalance and make you feel better. I'm just trying to work through it naturally.
Its not working though, so medication is needed.

tailspin
08-27-2013, 06:46 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. I tried to muscle through for the longest time without medication also. Mainly because I was terrified of the potential side effects of medication. I got myself into a really bad place though where I was becoming less and less able to do anything because my fears and associated distressing physical feelings were paralyzing me. So I did go on anti-depressants. And they have definitely helped somewhat. But I still struggle.

I definitely agree that it's a chemical imbalance in the brain. Yet I can't stop wanting to figure it out better. So much of what I feel is irrational. I suppose that's why it doesn't respond to rational arguments?.....The brain sure does work in mysterious ways!!!!!!!!!

JustAnotherAttack
08-27-2013, 06:56 PM
I totally agree...I feel like my panic attacks have a mind of their own sometimes. No matter how rational about the feelings that I have...my panic attacks are like "oh yeah, well let me show you how this feels!" lol. I just try to remember that I have been to the doctor and I am healthy. My brain just has a chemical imbalance. It doesnt make the panic attack go away, but it helps knowing that I will be alright eventually.

I'll have to go on medications too...I tried Wellbutrin, but it increased the frequency and level of my panic attacks, so I had to stop taking it. It was doing more harm than good. I think that when I visit the doctor I may suggest something different that worked for me in the past. Xanax is a wonder drug if taken properly. Too many people abuse that stuff, so they don't prescribe it freely anymore. I like the extended release kind because I hate the doped up feeling.

tailspin
08-27-2013, 07:17 PM
Hi Jessica, that's interesting about the XR Xanax. I did not know they made Xanax in an extended release form. I quite recently switched to a different anti-depressant (switched to Lexapro from Zoloft) and I also have Ativan which I take in an absolute emergency, but I very rarely use it because I'm extremely worried about the addiction potential. I imagine that an extended release benzo works a little differently though. I'm glad you have found some relief with the XR Xanax.

JustAnotherAttack
08-27-2013, 07:49 PM
Yeah, both of my parents were on Xanax extended release and it works wonders. Its a lot better than several other medications that I tried. I thought that xanax was only available in the "normal" form, but XR is out there. It worked really well for me.
I cannot remember why I quit taking that. I think I have a bad habit of taking meds till I feel better then taking myself off because I think I can handle everything without them.
Thats totally not the case though, lol. :)
I've heard a lot of great things about zoloft. How did it work for you?

Anthony Mendez
08-27-2013, 08:05 PM
Tailspin, please change your avatar, it's giving me anxiety :P joking

tailspin
08-27-2013, 10:01 PM
Tailspin, please change your avatar, it's giving me anxiety :P joking

LOL!!! Too funny! :D

tailspin
08-27-2013, 10:08 PM
Yeah, both of my parents were on Xanax extended release and it works wonders. Its a lot better than several other medications that I tried. I thought that xanax was only available in the "normal" form, but XR is out there. It worked really well for me.
I cannot remember why I quit taking that. I think I have a bad habit of taking meds till I feel better then taking myself off because I think I can handle everything without them.
Thats totally not the case though, lol. :)
I've heard a lot of great things about zoloft. How did it work for you?

I will definitely ask about the Xanax XR next time I see my pdoc.

Zoloft worked well for me at first, but it seemed to stop working after a year or so, even though I continued to take it for a good while longer. Finally I thought I may as well come off it because it really didn't seem to be helping much. On the plus side, I didn't have any bad side effects on Zoloft, which is always nice! At any rate, I tapered off Zoloft carefully and everything was ok so I thought I'd try going without any medication for a while. That turned out to be a big mistake!!! After a couple of months my depression and anxiety came back much worse than they had previously so I quickly re-started Zoloft again, hoping it would work better after taking a bit of a break from it. But it didn't so I went back to my pdoc and he suggested Lexapro. I can't honestly notice much difference from how I felt on Zoloft, but I'm definitely doing better than the time when I was without any medication.

I really hope meds help you if you decide to go that route!