PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone relate?

danni
08-07-2013, 05:01 PM
Hi all, I'm new to the forum but have suffered with anxiety for about 6years sometimes it's worse than others but this year it got to a point where I've had enough and need to do something about it.

I think my anxiety is mainly social based and am always concerned about making a fool of myself etc. I've been so worried that I will be stuck with this anxiety for ever that I have avoided actually doing things that I know might help for fear that they won't help and ill be left with no hope at all ( if that makes sense)?!

I don't know if anyone else has the same problem, but my biggest issue when I feel myself getting anxious along with racing heart and feeling light headed, is that I always need to pee. Half the time I escape to go to the loo and find I don't actually need to go but this has lead to me avoiding situations where I know I will be away from a toilet etc. I think it's just an avoidance strategy, an excuse to get out of a threatening situation but I can't shake it.

Just hoping to find someone who can relate to this so I know I'm not alone. Any advice on coping strategies would be gratefully received as I'm fed up with it ruling my life. I have recently started working through a cbt workbook which I find does help slightly but I still have a long way to go!

Thanks in advance :-)

shell11
08-08-2013, 03:32 PM
Hi danni

I can relate to you I was the same , ill pm you later on how I got through or am getting through situations

danni
08-08-2013, 04:04 PM
Hi shell

Thanks it's reassuring to know I'm not the only one, ill keep an eye on my inbox

keiraeilbeck
08-08-2013, 04:34 PM
Hi, I suffer really bad with social anxiety too and it is really effecting my life more than I would like :(

danni
08-09-2013, 01:58 AM
Yeah it's not nice is it! I hate that I have to think about my answer when friends invite me places and just wish I could get back to being my old self again.

I just can't pin point what started all this, it's like a switch just flicked one night...

I've tried hypnotherapy but found that I couldn't relax enough for it to work so I'm now working through a cbt workbook.

My doctor referred me for cbt which I really want to take advantage of but they don't do any evening or weekend appointments and as I work full time I just can't get the time off once a week to go with out telling my boss. I really don't want to tell my boss as I don't want her to think differently of me because of it... Catch 22