PDA

View Full Version : Getting Back to Work

panicake
08-06-2013, 05:23 AM
Hi guys, I'm new here and I don't even know where to start! I already feel like this is going to be an unnecessarily long post lol.

I've suffered from anxiety I believe since primary school (I'm now 21) but was only diagnosed in my late teens (after years of seeing my family GP about constant nausea and headaches with no answers...). I've been diagnosed with general & social anxiety and panic disorder. I had to leave my last job (of around a month) because I just couldn't go, I was having panic attacks every day just about going to work, this was around 9 months ago. During that time I've been doing CBT with a psychologist. Now for a couple of months I've been struggling with feelings of depression and worthlessness, and feeling as though this is just something I'm going to have to deal with and I should just get back into work.. therefore eliminating my recent financial anxiety, and the feeling of being too dependent on my partner. I'm due to start university (all online) at the end of this month, which is an achievement in itself as I had a panic attack trying to complete enrolment at the start of this year and gave up.

Now I've been (unofficially) offered a part time job, 30 hours per week. Which is great, I don't feel so worthless, but I just don't know how I'm going to go starting a new job, working so much (AND studying) after 9 months off. Although this isn't 100% guaranteed yet even I know that I'm going to have to start working again soon, and was wondering if anybody has any advice regarding going back to work and dealing with the anxiety around it.

Hopefully this post and replies will be able to help somebody else too. :)