PDA

View Full Version : Symptoms of an Untrained Mind

Cobra
08-03-2013, 07:47 PM
As I labor to rid myself of this horrible affliction, I have discovered that my mind is terribly untrained. While trying to implement Cognitive Behavior Therapy techniques and practice mindfulness, I have realized that my mind has an almost uncontrollable tendency to wander, jumping to and fro to thoughts about the past, the future, and really gruesome fantasies of sickness, injury, violence and social humiliation. All throughout the day, I brood over the unpleasant things that have happened to me in the past, imagine even more terrible things happening in the future, and relive events that have brought me shame and guilt. It's no wonder I have developed an anxiety disorder. How and when did I become such a negative person? While practicing mindfulness, I realize I very rarely daydream about pleasant, pleasurable things, or relive happy events in my life, or think about things that bring or have brought me joy in the past.

What a terrible way to experience my own life!

Today, I have tried very hard to "live in the moment" paying attention to the things I am doing, physical actions, and my sensory experiences. I have caught my mind wandering many times, all to unpleasant thoughts, and have forced my attention to turn away, or tried to regard the thoughts in a nuetral manner, telling myself "that is just a silly thought" or "the likelihood of that happening is almost zero" or "that is in the past and no longer has and bearing on the present". It has helped to keep my anxiety levels much lower than before.

It's very hard to maintain this constant mindfulness, though. It feels very strange to me, like I am existing apart from my own thoughts. I have, for so long, been a creature of instinctive feeling and chaotic thoughts. Hopefully, it becomes easier to keep up with CBT techniques and mindfulness in the future, as I get better at it. It should, as I've learned through my research that the brain actually begins to change physically in response to these techniques.

I definitely need to rewire my brain!

It's not unpleasant, but it definitely feels strange to think in this manner. To monitor my thoughts so closely, and yank on the reins when they're not behaving.

SmokeyYogi
08-04-2013, 04:25 AM
I didn't really think about it until I read your post, but my mind keeps popping back to places of my childhood. not unpleasant places, but places that has had no -or so it seems- influence on me.. I think of certain situations and talks I've had -will definitely try to be more present. thank you for this post.

vic
08-04-2013, 05:50 AM
As I labor to rid myself of this horrible affliction, I have discovered that my mind is terribly untrained. While trying to implement Cognitive Behavior Therapy techniques and practice mindfulness, I have realized that my mind has an almost uncontrollable tendency to wander, jumping to and fro to thoughts about the past, the future, and really gruesome fantasies of sickness, injury, violence and social humiliation. All throughout the day, I brood over the unpleasant things that have happened to me in the past, imagine even more terrible things happening in the future, and relive events that have brought me shame and guilt. It's no wonder I have developed an anxiety disorder. How and when did I become such a negative person? While practicing mindfulness, I realize I very rarely daydream about pleasant, pleasurable things, or relive happy events in my life, or think about things that bring or have brought me joy in the past.

What a terrible way to experience my own life!

Today, I have tried very hard to "live in the moment" paying attention to the things I am doing, physical actions, and my sensory experiences. I have caught my mind wandering many times, all to unpleasant thoughts, and have forced my attention to turn away, or tried to regard the thoughts in a nuetral manner, telling myself "that is just a silly thought" or "the likelihood of that happening is almost zero" or "that is in the past and no longer has and bearing on the present". It has helped to keep my anxiety levels much lower than before.

It's very hard to maintain this constant mindfulness, though. It feels very strange to me, like I am existing apart from my own thoughts. I have, for so long, been a creature of instinctive feeling and chaotic thoughts. Hopefully, it becomes easier to keep up with CBT techniques and mindfulness in the future, as I get better at it. It should, as I've learned through my research that the brain actually begins to change physically in response to these techniques.

I definitely need to rewire my brain!

It's not unpleasant, but it definitely feels strange to think in this manner. To monitor my thoughts so closely, and yank on the reins when they're not behaving.

I'm the same with my thotes when I'm happy ther not as bad but still ther but wen I'm like I am at the mo depressed due to stress my mind is my worst enemy every thote rushes through makes me re-live stuff also if I thing about things happening to my children illness or accident I panic comes all over me like it actually happened its so horrible and drains u mentally and physically I feel like jumping out of my own head some times just for a break. Even if I distract my self thotes will still race through :( I've got sum anti depressants but my thotes are controlling my body not to take them :( even though I knw they will help I'm also in a waiting list for cbt so hope it works for uz ;)

solta
08-04-2013, 10:52 AM
Wow, that's exactly what I'm feeling just said by someone else. I spend too much time thinking about everything bad instead of enjoying the moment. My mind wanders extremely easily. I hope everything I'm doing will help me to rid myself of this disease.

vic
08-04-2013, 10:57 AM
Wow, that's exactly what I'm feeling just said by someone else. I spend too much time thinking about everything bad instead of enjoying the moment. My mind wanders extremely easily. I hope everything I'm doing will help me to rid myself of this disease.

It's horrible isn't it u put rubbish in ur head I make my self ill wiv doing it hate it :( hope we get well soon