PDA

View Full Version : recovery?

mr panic man
10-11-2007, 04:44 PM
hello i think im on the road to recovery with my anxiety is there ne1 out there that can tell me how long after thay no longer feel anxious does the symptoms take to go away i read some where thay can stay 4 a long time even after u feel ok n thats wat sends alot of ppl back in the the cycle

Robbed
10-11-2007, 04:55 PM
Simply put, it will probably be a while. Here is what I have noticed. After not feeling as anxious (or very anxious at all), your symptoms will improve somewhat. But then the anxiety seems to come back, along with perhaps some depression. In fact, it will feel like you are back in it. Yet, you will feel fewer symptoms like unreality or 'dreaminess'. And once again, anxiety will decrease over the weeks. But then this cycle of recover starts all over again. Of course, everybody is different. I can't say that this is the way it will be for you.

mr panic man
10-11-2007, 04:59 PM
is there ne1 out there that has fully recoved or recoverd to an extent that it sumthing thay can live with without a problem jus let me no plz for a bit of a moral boost reli

Robbed
10-11-2007, 08:30 PM
You probably won't find alot of recovered people here. One thing you have to remember is that when someoe recovers, they generally want to get FAR, FAR away from ANYTHING having to do with anxiety. After all, it is NOT a fun thing to go through. So wouldn't YOU just like to distance yourself from it?

Richard77
10-12-2007, 06:54 AM
Once you get to a stage where to de realization has subsided and you feel like you are actually there, everything else seems to be a little more easier to cope with.
I had an episode about 2 and a half years ago which is very similiar to how I feel now, I fellt there was no way out and I would never feel normal again.
Even though I recovered fully last time it still feels like I wont this time. Last time it took about 6weeks to get back to almost normal feeling and probably after another month I had put the whole thing to the back of my mind completely.
Sometimes I'll feel almost normal but then I'll think oh no I've still got those stupid thoughts in my mind, I guess if you just keep going your brain just stops worrying.
I see it in a way that if a masked man ran in to my office now with a gun, I would completely crap myself, but if he continued to do this for a number of weeks I eventually wouldn't be bothered anymore, I'd probably ask him if he'd like a cup of tea.
Think its all a time and acceptance thing

Rich

Richard77
10-12-2007, 06:58 AM
And yes to answer your question I did get through this before and led a completely normal life, didn't even think about it, its just a shame it came and bit me on the bum again, but I put that mainly down to a rely bad diet and lifestyle hopefully if I get clear of it again and change my lifestyle I'll beat it for good

Rich

chanel07
10-12-2007, 05:30 PM
is there ne1 out there that has fully recoved or recoverd to an extent that it sumthing thay can live with without a problem jus let me no plz for a bit of a moral boost reli

I am fully recovered. It took me about 8-10 months before I stopped feeling anxious. Everyone is different so it may take longer or shorter for someone to recover.

Robbed
10-12-2007, 08:05 PM

I am fully recovered. It took me about 8-10 months before I stopped feeling anxious. Everyone is different so it may take longer or shorter for someone to recover.

Well, after about a year I am substantially better, but not competely recovered. So yes, recovery time can indeed vary based on the person and original intensity of the anxiety, as well as other complicating factors (ie life stresses that drove you to anxiety in the first place, and your ability to deal with them). But from what I have generally seen and heard, anxiety disorder typically lasts from several months to a few years.