PDA

View Full Version : Panic at bedtime

Lin
07-13-2013, 04:59 AM
Please need help. Panic sets in at 8 pm and then I get worse and worse and can't sleep. Have been overriding any tablets and not sleep for days. Then get tired, nap after work, and then cycle begins again we with no sleep at night. Once husband asleep get really panicky and want to get out but not safe at moment to leave house on own. Tried body scan, listening to tapes, tv , doing a puzzle but just can't stop panic and it gets worse.
Took quetipin last night in end to sleep but although slept, kept waking up and have now overslept and feel drugged and eyes not open properly. OK at weekend but can't do this when have work.
Any ideas from anyone how can stop the panic and have a natural sleep again?

em1
07-13-2013, 05:12 AM
I know how you feel I had two weeks like this,I know your tired but try not to sleep in the day try and keep awake as you may then get a few hours rest,your body is not relaxing and that's making you feel more Anxious,try and add some lavender oils to your bath and you can also get a room spray,after your bath have a Chamomile tea as that relaxes you

Lin
07-13-2013, 05:24 AM
Thank you Emi. Am trying not to nap but today so drugged feel really weird - too tired to walk straight but already anxious and unsafe. Have tried essential oils at bedtime and hot chocolate, not like camomile, but can't do baths as one of things make me more unsafe.
Good to hear you have same problem thank you.

Jade25
07-13-2013, 05:24 AM
Hi Lin,
I am new to this site (just joined). May I ask what keeps you up? What keeps your mind busy? For me, there isn't any specific time. Most of the time, I have no problem going to sleep, it is waking up in the middle of the night and not being able to go to sleep again and waking up in the morning anxious. Mostly because I have a lot of things in my mind. When this happens, I just don't fight it anymore. When I get home and feel sleepy, I just sleep, even if it is too early. I figured, it is better than nothing. My mind needs a rest anyway. If I wake up and can't sleep again, it is still better (at least for me). I just stopped thinking about not being able to sleep and being frustrated with that and it took a few weeks, but my sleep eventually normalized. But, do the other things too - no caffeine, taking calming tea instead (or milk), whatever makes you calm, and making sure you don't eat sugary foods or high carb foods close to bed time. Diet is also important and exercise. Hope this helps.

Lin
07-13-2013, 06:14 AM
Thanks jade25 really help loads.
It is head which stops me sleeping. Problem is so hard to work on no sleep.
Pleased you said OK to nap when need to and then sleep normalises, but it has been over a month now and sleep not normalising at all and panic and feeling unsafe getting worse.
Will try not worry about naps and get what sleep can.
Will try ensure no caffeine or sugar near bed too like you suggest.
Whatever I do the head keeps ruminating and feeling unsafe.
Thanks for your help.

CathHelena
07-13-2013, 04:33 PM
I get this ALL THE TIME, so i know what you are going thrugh, and it sucks!

I usually drink some tea, while i sit in a room only lighted up by candles(1-3 candles usually), and just "chill" for 5-10 min, then so to bed and listen to the hypnose/meditation app i have on my iPhone, then i fall asleep and sleep like a baby.

Hope it will help you!

Lin
07-13-2013, 10:04 PM
Thank you Cath/Helena I haven't tried the candles but have tried the tapes. But will persevere with them. It is just my head when low overrides everything.