PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety affecting TMJ

mykids12
07-06-2013, 05:57 PM
So I've had problems with my TMJ for quite awhile now. Never been actually diagnosed with it but I can feel it and I have a pretty big overbite. My top teeth can almost completely cover the bottom teeth. I also have lots of ear pain, neck and shoulder pain, sore throat, sinus symptoms, and my jaw clicks sometimes when I open it to talk/eat. Most of these symptoms occur on the right side. Not to mention I wake up with a headache most days. I clench my teeth together A LOT during the day an have to keep telling myself to stop. I especially do this when I'm worried or stressed. So since I was worried about my fuzzy vision that started coming on I started reading up and saw that TMJD can affect the eyes as well causing blurred vision or watery eyes or sensitivity to light, all of which have happened to me within the past couple weeks. At first I was thinking what every other anxiety ridden person thinks, and that it was a brain tumor but now that I'm putting it all together it's all symptoms of TMJD. the problem is trying to not clench during the day or even tighten my jaw. How do I do this? I know I do it at night as well so was thinking of buying a night guard but obviously can't walk around during the day with this thing in my mouth :). Any suggestions? I'm going to make a dentist appt. on Monday because I just cant stand this throbbing pain anymore and with as much as anxiety as I have, thus causing the clenching, I need something to help. Really don't want to take muscle relaxers during the day either if I can avoid it.

defmunel
07-06-2013, 06:29 PM
I'd try the night guard first. You may find that that alone at night offers a lot of relief. If the symptoms persist beyond that, then you may need to find a solution for during the day. But, give the night guard a try first.