PDA

View Full Version : Dentist and Anxiety???

brittany32888
06-25-2013, 03:14 PM
Ok so... I had a dental appt. yesterday because I have wisdom teeth coming out and cavities. I haven't been to a dentist in 5 years because I HATE going. I hate dentists, I hate the toothpaste they use, I hate the sounds of the machines, I hate the receptionists, I hate the people sitting next to you in the waiting room that aren't having panic attacks(you get the point) !!! So I went and didn't start out too bad, but when she was shoving those huge things in the back of my mouth to get X-rays I thought I was going to freak. So I got through that but now in 2 weeks I have to get my two bottom wisdom teeth pulled and I'm really scared. I know I'll be numb during the actual procedure but I'm afraid of the healing process because of the risk of getting an abscess while there are holes in your mouth..... Anyone had a good experience getting this done ???

str8trippin
06-25-2013, 06:48 PM
I can COMPLETELY, 110% relate to your fear! Ever since a dentist told me at about age seven that I was a cry baby because I was scared about getting a tooth filled for the first time, I've avoided dentist's like the plague. Just like you said, everything about the dentist is awful...I can make myself anxious just thinking about going to the dentist, let alone actually going. My blood pressure goes up just walking into a dentist office and my palms start to sweat, I get shaky, and I get hot flashes and have goosebumps all at once...it's awful! At any rate, my teeth have certainly suffered for my fear of the dentist. At 26 I've had two wisdom teeth and two molars pulled, and I imagine my other wisdom teeth at least will have the same fate at some point in the future. Going to the dentist certainly isn't a pleasant experience for anyone usually, but having anxiety about makes it so much worse, and people don't genuinely seem to understand the extent of that anxiety some of the time, which also makes it harder and fuels the anxiety! I can assure you, though, that you will be fine!

I was absolutely horrified the first time I got a wisdom tooth pulled...I was in a panic in the waiting room. But I managed to focus and breath through it and it all went smoothly. The worst part for me is the Novocaine because I have major needle phobia and on top of it the Novocaine makes me feel jittery and emotional, which already happens just from the anxiety alone, so it's definitely exaggerated. But I thought I would be a complete wreck and I made it through, and the recovery was smooth sailing...Ibuprofen dulled the pain and I was able to eat the same day, as awkward as it was, and the rest of it was nothing. Then, after a not so great experience getting a molar pulled, I decided to find a new dentist. I had to take my daughter in anyway, so I ended up asking the children's dentist if they took adult patients, which they did, and it's the best decision I've ever made! It may sound completely ridiculous, but the children's dentist's understand about nervous patient's and about being gentle, and I couldn't have asked for the better experience the last time I went in and had a second wisdom tooth and second molar pulled both at the same time. My blood pressure was a little high going in, so they just had me hang out until I was able to relax a little bit, and they offered me something to help me calm down if I thought I needed it. They made it so comfortable for me and were so understanding, which is exactly what I need in a doctor or dentist. Now I don't have quite as much fear about going back. The recovery is no big deal...they'll give you pain medication for afterwards and otherwise just follow the instructions they give you and you'll be absolutely fine!

brittany32888
06-26-2013, 03:41 PM
I can COMPLETELY, 110% relate to your fear! Ever since a dentist told me at about age seven that I was a cry baby because I was scared about getting a tooth filled for the first time, I've avoided dentist's like the plague. Just like you said, everything about the dentist is awful...I can make myself anxious just thinking about going to the dentist, let alone actually going. My blood pressure goes up just walking into a dentist office and my palms start to sweat, I get shaky, and I get hot flashes and have goosebumps all at once...it's awful! At any rate, my teeth have certainly suffered for my fear of the dentist. At 26 I've had two wisdom teeth and two molars pulled, and I imagine my other wisdom teeth at least will have the same fate at some point in the future. Going to the dentist certainly isn't a pleasant experience for anyone usually, but having anxiety about makes it so much worse, and people don't genuinely seem to understand the extent of that anxiety some of the time, which also makes it harder and fuels the anxiety! I can assure you, though, that you will be fine!

I was absolutely horrified the first time I got a wisdom tooth pulled...I was in a panic in the waiting room. But I managed to focus and breath through it and it all went smoothly. The worst part for me is the Novocaine because I have major needle phobia and on top of it the Novocaine makes me feel jittery and emotional, which already happens just from the anxiety alone, so it's definitely exaggerated. But I thought I would be a complete wreck and I made it through, and the recovery was smooth sailing...Ibuprofen dulled the pain and I was able to eat the same day, as awkward as it was, and the rest of it was nothing. Then, after a not so great experience getting a molar pulled, I decided to find a new dentist. I had to take my daughter in anyway, so I ended up asking the children's dentist if they took adult patients, which they did, and it's the best decision I've ever made! It may sound completely ridiculous, but the children's dentist's understand about nervous patient's and about being gentle, and I couldn't have asked for the better experience the last time I went in and had a second wisdom tooth and second molar pulled both at the same time. My blood pressure was a little high going in, so they just had me hang out until I was able to relax a little bit, and they offered me something to help me calm down if I thought I needed it. They made it so comfortable for me and were so understanding, which is exactly what I need in a doctor or dentist. Now I don't have quite as much fear about going back. The recovery is no big deal...they'll give you pain medication for afterwards and otherwise just follow the instructions they give you and you'll be absolutely fine!

Thanks for the reply, I'm still really nervous. :( I get major anxiety from being sick or in any physical pain. I always fear the worst and feel like something is majorly wrong. That's why I try to stay as healthy as possible, but I can't control my wisdom teeth coming in and it freaks me out. Ugh...... Why do we have to have teeth come in that we don't need or can't keep anyway? So stupid.....

str8trippin
06-26-2013, 03:50 PM
On the bright side...once they are gone, they are gone...at least it's not something you have to keep having done over and over again! It is stupid that we have teeth that we don't need and usually have to come out anyway. It happens really fast, too. It's not like you're in there for hours or anything...it's done within just a few minutes.

brittany32888
06-27-2013, 01:05 PM
On the bright side...once they are gone, they are gone...at least it's not something you have to keep having done over and over again! It is stupid that we have teeth that we don't need and usually have to come out anyway. It happens really fast, too. It's not like you're in there for hours or anything...it's done within just a few minutes.

Very true... I just have anticipatory anxiety so until I'm in there actually experiencing it for myself, I'm going to be anxious. But I do feel better, thanks for taking the time to share. :)