PDA

View Full Version : Obsessive Thinking

willv91
06-02-2013, 04:08 PM
Has anyone got any advice to break the cycle of obsessive thinking? Nothing seems to take my mind off whatever is worrying me. I can't watch TV or read anything. I basically just want to sleep all the time which means I don't have to suffer. If you experience obsessive thinking you'll probably know what I mean.

Thanks for reading,
Will.

graciebaby
06-02-2013, 04:21 PM
I know exactly what u mean! I've been like this since I can remember, have you tried counselling? I was having it and it really helped me, they try and make you t
Change your thought process so when u get stuck with obsessive thoughts you learn how to stop letting them take over, I was doing really well with my counselling but my brother was killed in 2012 and it knocked me sideways, so hopefully I will go back to it when I feel ready, but its def worth a try
Hope you manage ok

willv91
06-02-2013, 04:27 PM
I know exactly what u mean! I've been like this since I can remember, have you tried counselling? I was having it and it really helped me, they try and make you t
Change your thought process so when u get stuck with obsessive thoughts you learn how to stop letting them take over, I was doing really well with my counselling but my brother was killed in 2012 and it knocked me sideways, so hopefully I will go back to it when I feel ready, but its def worth a try
Hope you manage ok

Thanks for your reply!
I did have CBT maybe 18 months ago now, however I did not find this helpful. I heard such good things about it but didn't work for me. I'm not really sure what else is out there. Anyway since then I have got a lot worse. Talking to somebody helps a bit but I don't really have many people.

graciebaby
06-02-2013, 04:38 PM
Have u tried self help books?? I got one called overcoming OCD, that was a really big help for me, a found it comforting to read knowin there are so many other people that go thru this, but I suppose coming on here is similar, maybe a different form of counselling? My counsellor didn't do CBT with me just gettin me to talk about how my mind works and what's best to calm my mind down, as you probably kno when you stress out with obsessive thought your brain feels like its goin in overdrive with so many different irrational thoughts, well my counsellor would just get e to Slow everything down, this is probably not much help but maybe try a different type of counselling that suits you, hope you get sorted
:)

willv91
06-02-2013, 04:45 PM
Have u tried self help books?? I got one called overcoming OCD, that was a really big help for me, a found it comforting to read knowin there are so many other people that go thru this, but I suppose coming on here is similar, maybe a different form of counselling? My counsellor didn't do CBT with me just gettin me to talk about how my mind works and what's best to calm my mind down, as you probably kno when you stress out with obsessive thought your brain feels like its goin in overdrive with so many different irrational thoughts, well my counsellor would just get e to Slow everything down, this is probably not much help but maybe try a different type of counselling that suits you, hope you get sorted
:)

I will look more into self help books an different types of counselling. I'm sure I'll find something to help!
Thank you!

Cobra
06-02-2013, 09:04 PM
What helped me was Help and Hope for your Nerves by Claire Weekes. it's only $8 for the ebook version on kindle or iBooks. I read it twice and practice her techniques. Knocked my anxiety levels down by half or better. Magnesium supplement seems to help. I also take Passion flower supplements from a company called solar ray. Two or three a day, as needed. All natural, but shouldn't be mixed with other meds like ativan or Xanax, as it can increase their effect too much.