PDA

View Full Version : Im new here

NJ-Shawn
09-28-2005, 10:47 PM
:( Hi Im Shawn, hope everyone is doing well. I was wondering if anyone can help. I think I suffer from anxiety or something stress related, I dont know. Every morning after about 10 minutes from awakining I start to dry heave really bad/coughing, never throwing up though, but I cant eat even though Im hungry, sometime I try to force an apple, but its hard to swallow. I had a really bad, my worst episode at work where I dry heaved for about 20 minutes, got really weak and dizzy, I had to lay down. I went to the Dr. for it and he said it was anxiety and perscribed me Benzos/poison. Lorazepam. I took them for 3 weeks at 2 mgs a day. Then I stopped taking them, bad, but good mistake. Most of the hell of withdraw is over now after about 35 days of complete misery. If you have read the Ashton guide, as most doctors should but dont, youll know the mind and body withdraw hell from Benzos. I even went to the ER it was so bad, but they told me I was totally healthy. My mind is still a little foggy still, but much better than the first 3 weeks, so no complaints. I lost my job and everything. OK, enough of my ranting about benzos. My question is, is the dry heaving from being stressed/worrying too much. My sleepping habbits suck, I toss and turn all night, then when I get to sleep the littlest noise wakes me, and I tend to wake about 1-2 hours before I even have to get up. Then when I awake my mind races about everything I have to get done that day. I try to condence my days to make the most out of them, usually doing 2 things at once. In the morning for example Ill brush my teeth, put toast in the toaster for a sandwitch for lunch, then go to the bathroom, still as I brush my teeth, and as Im doing all of this Im trying to figure out how to condence the rest of my day and maybe the next sometimes. I try to save time and cant ever seem to slow down. Ill never put another poison a Dr. gives me again in my body, I dont even know if it was anxiety that caused that innocent at work, he didnt even know how to ween me off of benzos, so my faith in him is really none. Is there anyway I could stop my madness? And is the dry heaving from anxiety? Your thoughts would really help me, thanks, Shawn.

shoe
09-29-2005, 07:06 AM
Shawn, welcome to the board.

I don't recall reading anything about dry heaving in relation to anxiety, but the bit about your mind racing all the time worrying about things is common with GAD sufferers.

As far as benzodiazepines go, each person reacts to each medication differently. I personally have found benzos to work great for me. It seems odd you have had such strong withdrawal effects after only 3 weeks of use, but again everyone reacts differently. I've been taking benzos for a few years now, on an as needed basis and have been pleased with the results. I also started on a daily dose a few months ago, and on days when I don't take the dose there isn't any strong impact upon me (I sometimes dont take them on weekends). For long term use I believe quitting cold turkey is bound to produce withdrawal effects, which is why a doctor should be consulted prior to withdrawing.

If you do ever decide to try medications again, there are other benzo's and also common SSRI antidepressant medications that you can be put on, although SSRI's are known to also have withdrawal effects unless you taper them very slowly.

Btw, I have actually tried Ativan (Lorazepam) myself and found it ineffective for me - it almost seemed to increase my anxiety. I have faired better on Xanax (alprazolam) and more recently Klonopin (clonazepam).