PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with me? I worry all the time...

pealover17
08-15-2007, 02:23 PM
I've searched the Internet through and through for answers, but I can't seem to find information anywhere. I do believe I have an anxiety-related problem, though. I'm really hoping I can find answers here, since this is a community of anxiety sufferers. I know this won't be a professional diagnosis of any sort, but I'm just looking for direction at the moment. I'd appreciate your input so much as you read through what's been going on lately and give me an honest piece of advice.

Well, where do I start? I've been a quite mild worrier for almost all my life, but my problems started when I began college last fall. Naturally, I'm a shy person, so making friends and talking to people did not come easily. I eventually became frustrated and locked myself in my room all the time- depressed that I couldn't fit in, and positive that nobody liked me. My boyfriend, basically my only friend, was more than an hour and a half away, and my family was extremely unsupportive of my wishes to leave. On top of that, I began to constantly worry about my life decisions, I absolutely couldn't figure out what I wanted to major in and where I'd go from there if I ever got to leave. I sought counseling, and the university counselor gathered that I had a moderate to severe depression problem. I never sought a second opinion from a professional, so I don't know much else about this or if it's an accurate observation.

That dilemma was finally solved when my parents finally gave in and agreed to pay for a college only a half hour away from home, and let me transfer at semester. My anxious feelings began to cease, but I still broke down at least 3 times a week in a panic. What was I going to do? What do people think of me, transferring like this? My credits will be wasted...what am I even going to take that'll count towards a major when I finally figure it out? I probably won't have friends here...I'm lonely...my parents still don't accept me...etc.

Now, embarrassed and lost as ever, I'm starting off at yet ANOTHER school, in the same city, a half hour away. I want to study computer tech, as it's something I've always been interested in. A step forward finally making a concrete school decision instead of generals, right? Now I'm not so sure. I've began to worry that my classes will be too hard, and that this is a complete and utter waste of time.

My life situation right now is filled with worry about my own school status and also that of what will become of me next year. The plan is to move to a good college, several hours from here, with my boyfriend. Now I've began to worry that he won't be able to afford it and something else will go wrong. I believe this is a good move for the both of us, as this school has a better rep than the last three I've gone to and he has also found a good fit for him there. However, I don't know what'll become of me if this doesn't work out. I'm overcome with worry, yet again. This relationship obviously means a lot to me as I don't really have another means of support, even friends.

I'm almost ashamed to post my story on an Internet forum as it sounds so crazy, and I'm sorry if what I've written so far seems to be a long, drawn-out editorial. All I'm hoping is that someone has made sense of what I've written and can give me some advice. Does this sound like a true problem with an anxiety disorder, or is it the normal way of a college student? Again, your advice is appreciated SO much. Thank you!

Celtic34
08-16-2007, 04:01 PM
hey pealover. I can totally relate to your problems. From my experiences with anxiety I think if you are having panic attacks 3 or more times a week then you should look into getting diagnosed. A lot of college students have similar problems that you have, including myself, but if you are constantly worrying about your problems and you can tell its affecting your life I would look into getting help. As a college student you have many services available to you no matter what college you attend. Almost all colleges have services that are extremely cheap yet they are very good, confidential, and they specialize in helping college students with depression and anxiety.

dorigen
08-16-2007, 08:58 PM
College is a very typical time for these things to start happening. :( I know from experience (go to my site in my sig and read my story if you're interested). College time is tough because you're transitioning to adulthood and have a lot of decisions ahead of you!

I agree with the last poster that 3 attacks a week vies for getting some treatment. Might as well start sooner than later. I hope you feel better soon. Cut yourself some slack, you are having tough times. I know lots of friends who transferred schools many times! It's common!

I wish you the best of luck. Self-help books, programs, and therapy all work. You'll be fine. Good luck!