PDA

View Full Version : Switching from Paxil / Wellbutrin to St John's Wort :-0

SlipperyNoggin
05-14-2013, 11:58 PM
I recently switched from Paxil 40 qd / Wellbutrin SR 150 qd to St John's Wort. Today (05/15) is the end of the first week of St John's Wort mono-therapy (300mg St John's Wort (.3% Hypericin) q8h.) The Paxil dose has been tapered over six months or more. Six weeks prior to d/c Paxil the dose was held at 5mg qd. Pacil was d/c 3 days before beginning St John's Wort. Wellbutrin was reduced to 75mg roughly six months ago and d/c when Paxil was reduced to 5mg qd.

I have been pleasantly surprised with the reults of this sometimes difficult transition. Admittedly, last Thursday and Friday were rough. There were waves of anxiety that would hit me, negative self-talk that just wouldn't quit. I honestly thought about letting the SJW clear out and going back to the Paxil.

Then I woke up Saturday morning. My kids seemed more alive. My girlfriend was even prettier than I remembered. (my wife and mother of my three children passed away almost 4 years ago - I've got a wonderful girlfriend now whom my kids adore and she loves them even more.) She isn't going to be "just my girfriend for long)

Okay, I think I'm starting to get a little off topic. The point in creating this thread is to document my transition from a SSRI with a tough withdrawl history to a traditional / herbal remedy.

Only a week has transpired, so it is too soon to evaluate the effacy of St John's Wort in my case. I've comitted to giving it a three month run. There should be enough time for the 'Wort to marinate my brain (active compounds to cross the blood-brain-barrier and accumulate to theraputic levels,) as well as a good assortment of stressful and enjoyable events.

I will add to this thread periodically as I continue on my journey.

Ahlstrom
05-15-2013, 11:53 PM
Is this in form of a pill?