PDA

View Full Version : Meds? Weed? Alcohol?

daisie
05-11-2013, 06:05 PM
I've suffered panic attacks and anxiety for about 4 years now, but I haven't really tired medication. I did you kalms, there like sweets that you take when your having a panic attack and there suppose to calm you down but they never worked for me. I can't really go anywhere in a car so I can't really go to the doctors to here there advice but is it worth going? Are there any medications that have help anyone alot? I don't want to get hooked on anything but I've had enough now. Also does weed make panic attacks worse? I've smoked it before but don't anymore, if it helps then oviously I would try it again. Also does alcohol make its worse ?Because I feel better when I drink but I don't want to have to drink just to feel normal? Someone please help me out

u4ea
05-11-2013, 06:25 PM
I've noticed drinking makes me better while intoxicated, but the next day I feel worse - anxiety wise, not meaning just hung over. I was in the vicious cycle of self medicating with booze - DON'T head down that road...

daisie
05-12-2013, 01:55 AM
I'm not the type of person to get addicted to anyone and I don't want to end up drinking all the time to feel normal. I get that aswell, usally the next day my panic are worse.

acetone
05-12-2013, 12:42 PM
Instead of trying drugs or alcohol go to a psychiatrist and get meds. Benzos (klonopin,xanax,ativan) stop panic attacks dead in their tracks.

krayziee
05-12-2013, 02:02 PM
My dad actually is a alcoholic because of his anxiety which i inherited, very sad :-(

daisie
05-12-2013, 04:34 PM
That's the horrible thing, I can't leave the house or even get in the car to go to a doctors or anything so I've never really had the chance to stay medication. And also I know panic attacks are the worst things, but turning to alcohol would be my last option because I can't stand the thought of having to drink to feel normal or happy, I just wish there was an easy way out :(

daisie
05-12-2013, 04:35 PM
My dad actually is a alcoholic because of his anxiety which i inherited, very sad :-(

I hope you find away to stop all that and be able to life the life that you want :)

emgem91
05-13-2013, 04:55 AM
Honestly, I'd try to cut out everything bad as much as possible. I only go out drinking once a week now and try not to get drunk because if I'm hungover I suffer with anxiety and major depression. It's best to have little of all the pleasures but enjoy them when you do.

raggamuffin
05-13-2013, 04:58 AM
Drugs and substances whether legal or illegal mask symptoms and don't address root causes. Reduce stress, read about anxiety and udnerstand how it's affecting you. The more knowledge you have of anxiety the less fear and worry you give it to feed off. Empower yourself with udnerstanding of your anxiety and situation and remove the power you think anxiety has over your life.

Ed

kbuzz1
05-13-2013, 06:06 AM
Instead of trying drugs or alcohol go to a psychiatrist and get meds. Benzos (klonopin,xanax,ativan) stop panic attacks dead in their tracks.

Instead of drugs, get meds??? Benzos are one of the most addictive drugs out there.

raggamuffin
05-13-2013, 06:44 AM
For short term use, yes. But as with any drug, tolerances build and the drug lessens in effectiveness.

Ed

alankay
05-13-2013, 09:09 AM
There is allot of fear mongering with meds and benzos in particular. A good pdoc will oversee your treatment with several modalities or methods and keep you on the right track. Yes, some do a better job of this than others but after you've suffered enough, I think meds and pyshcotherpy should be tried depending on the person and that is best figured out by a qualified GP and pdoc.
Bottom line is that benzos(far safer than any anti anxiety meds that came before, i.e. barbituates).
Beside, self medication is always dangerous. Ask any number of celebrities who, in essence, was able to self medicate to death.
Like it or not benzos are the most prescribed psychoactive class of med. Think about that. Yeah , I hate the fact these meds are needed too but I cannot wish anxiety away. Alankay

acetone
05-13-2013, 09:09 AM
Instead of drugs, get meds??? Benzos are one of the most addictive drugs out there.
As long as you do not abuse them you won't get addicted. I use them occasionally and they are extremely effective especially for periods of panic attacks. They are not meant to be taken for long term. For long term SSRI is the way to go.