PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety and Drinking

Taurphine
04-28-2013, 03:25 PM
I am posting this while intoxicated...bare with me.

I've realized that while I am drunk ( of course not drunk drunk but tipsy and feeling good ) I feel amazing and that my anxiety disappears. When my mom was sick with cancer I use to drink ALOT so I could remove the bullshit anxiety and everything else.

While I am intoxicated my anxiety disappears and I feel good and relaxed... But I'm not a drinker... Is there anyone who feels the same or could solve this?

gumbysack
04-28-2013, 03:27 PM
Yes alcohol does reduce anxiety, however heavy-drinking can make it worse.

blondieqtpie
04-28-2013, 03:40 PM
I drink a couple glasses of wine every night to help me relax... The odd time more. I find wine ( more than other alcohol) does help reduce my anxiety... Enough so I can relax enough to sleep. It may sound like an excuse. And I'm trying to find other methods like meditation to help me relax. I even researched about legal,natural herbs that when smoked or made into a tea can help with anxiety. Maybe try other things if it worries you. I myself don't want to be dependent on wine to help me relax.. And even though I normally don't consume excess amounts its not good for me.

princesskj
04-28-2013, 05:34 PM
I need some wine :)

Judie
04-28-2013, 06:11 PM
Well that would be self medicating with alcohol. Most alcoholics suffer from depression and actually are self medicating to cope with social anxiety and/or Panic attacks and Depression. The problem as with tranquillizers, alcohol has a rebound effect and although it temporarily calms the anxiety, when sober the anxiety will be worse. Alcohol is a depressant with only a " temporary" fix and actually makes matters worse. When people drink they don't process life events, especially sad events ( in doing this they "store" these events and are flooded with emotions and LOTS of anxiety when they do get sober. Even if you are NOT an alcoholic using alcohol as an avoidant to stress or depression will inevitably backfire. Please keep this is mind, especially if you already suffer anxiety/depression. Be Well ! Face your anxiety and the emotions ( no matter how horrible and uncomfortable these feelings are ) by doing this you process your emotions, which we all need to do and eventually release them. Holding things in are like inflating a balloon, eventually the balloon " pop" (anxiety). Life experience: My mom was an alcoholic, my brother is an alcoholic, my step-son is an alcoholic and my husband whom I love dearly is a recovering alcoholic with 20 years sobriety. In my lifetime I have seen lots of self medicating with alcohol and lots of anxiety upon withdrawal. I post only from life experience. What I say I know . Be well !

Judie
04-28-2013, 06:13 PM
Alcohol doesn't have to be a bad thing and many find relaxation in a couple of glasses of wine. It is only a problem when you cannot cope in any other way with your anxiety . Be well and kind to yourself.

Judie
04-28-2013, 06:29 PM
blondieqtpie, You are aware that you don't want to be dependent on alcohol and that's a good thing. I think we all focus on getting rid of anxiety with outside forces ( meds, teas, herbs, alcohol etc...) I think we need to focus not on getting rid of the anxiety but by accepting it. In doing this you accept the anxiety and the realization that these are symptoms ( nothing more ). Fear is only as big as we make it. By spending a lot of time thinking about how we are going to beat the anxiety we give it power, lots of power. I mean after all why would be thinking about it all the time if it wasn't soooooo very powerful .It isn't it's just fear...ride it out. By not focuses on the anxiety you take away its power.I mean after all how often do you think about things that aren't important, very rarely because they just don't matter. Change your thoughts on how you feel about the Panic, accept it. I know how scary it is trust me. When I was first diagnosed I went to therapy. I had recently educated myself on agoraphobia and how desperately people with anxiety disorders try to avoid them and eventually often become shut ins. At the first session my therapist asked me what I was doing to help myself. I said " I am going to Bradless ( a Large Department Store at the time) everyday " She said "Why" ? and I said with tears in my eyes " Because I hate it sooooo much and it makes me have attacks, the lights, the people everything, it's horrible but I know I have to do it " She said " You are very strong and you won't be sick very long" I understand anxiety, I have lived it as all of you have. You truly do need to stand up to it. Be kind to yourselves.

blondieqtpie
04-28-2013, 07:23 PM
I have a hard time accepting it... Just because I'm more of a fighter I guess... I'm stubborn and outgoing and competitive. It's like anxiety and I are competing to see who wins. When I have attacks though I'm a totally different person and become withdrawn. I hate it.
I also have an addictive personality so I have to be careful and its also why I have ambivalent feelings towards medication for my anxiety.
And yes SO many people self Medicate with illegal drugs and/ or alcohol, that have depression anxiety etc. After a series of severely traumatic experiences I had PTSD, depression, anxiety and panic ( I've always had a few OCDs ). I was heavily into partying and abusing whatever substance I could get. I know now why. Now over a decade later my life is way better. My GAD Comes and goes and my anxiety and panic attacks get bad.. Then rarely happen. But wine is one thing I still use, admittedly as a crutch for my anxiety. But considering cigarettes and illicit drugs are no longer part of my life that's not bad.

Lin
04-28-2013, 07:53 PM
Difficult with wine. I have not had it for over 2 years because of meds on and nurses told me how bad you are when mix meds i am on with alcohol. I hate it when can't join my husband in glass if red at weekends and he enjoys it less too because we can't share and he feels guilty in front if he. But found some red grape non alcoholic for treat when he has red wine so I feel less jealous and angry and he feels less guilty.
I will try any meds, therapies, courses or things like meditation to try and get better and back to old me and we enjoy life again.
Mine is hormone driven so have to wait for solution to imbalance to be found before I can live with the imbalance with assistance from gynae and psych meds, and go back to old life.
Meditation has helped lots - well worth trying. Reflexology also helps if you find right person for you.

blondieqtpie
04-28-2013, 08:25 PM
I actually have been trying self hypnosis and meditation lately on my phone. It does help. The thing with my anxiety and panic is it stems from extreme repeat trauma over 15 years ago. It's not like I'm afraid of many things or of social situations... I'm very talkative, friendly and outgoing. I have had counseling for my trauma but anyone who has PTSD and been through repeat trauma would understand its hard to overcome it. I think it's why I can't accept my anxiety ... Then I accept what happened to me was ok... It wasn't . It's taken many years and hard work to be where I am now. But still... I don't want to fall into a place where alcohol runs my life and I don't enjoy it anymore. Another note... I rarely drink in the day... Or even when my children are awake.
But yes I totally recommend meditation... And I've downloaded relaxation songs for my iPhone... Which I can Listen to alone, playing games or texting.

NixonRulz
04-28-2013, 08:44 PM
I have a hard time accepting it... Just because I'm more of a fighter I guess... I'm stubborn and outgoing and competitive. It's like anxiety and I are competing to see who wins. When I have attacks though I'm a totally different person and become withdrawn. I hate it.
I also have an addictive personality so I have to be careful and its also why I have ambivalent feelings towards medication for my anxiety.
And yes SO many people self Medicate with illegal drugs and/ or alcohol, that have depression anxiety etc. After a series of severely traumatic experiences I had PTSD, depression, anxiety and panic ( I've always had a few OCDs ). I was heavily into partying and abusing whatever substance I could get. I know now why. Now over a decade later my life is way better. My GAD Comes and goes and my anxiety and panic attacks get bad.. Then rarely happen. But wine is one thing I still use, admittedly as a crutch for my anxiety. But considering cigarettes and illicit drugs are no longer part of my life that's not bad.

I was the same way. I found that wine really mellowed me out. Never liked it much but was a different buzz. I am we'll past my anxiety but still crave wine. So I drink some almost every night. Wasn't that I was addicted to alcohol but maybe wine.

I just think its a great way to end any day.

Lin
04-28-2013, 08:46 PM
There are great free meditation apps on the internet you can download and use when need them. Just a few minutes of meditation every day, just basic one of concentrating on your breath, can help you so much. Gives you head space and calmness for a while. The buddhist teachings help you to learn how to cope with every day life and their style of guided meditation follows the NHS mindfulness meditation and way to live better while ill and in pain,
I have just had crystal gem therapy too and that was gentle and relaxing. Man was so kind he sent me a quartz mountain which he had been given but said he knew it was not right for him and had been waiting for right person who it would help, so I now meditate with that in my hand too. Just read up about it and quartz is meant to help in many ways especially to balance you when have health problems.

Judie
04-29-2013, 11:57 PM
Blondieqtpie, PTSD is horrible no question. Understandable that you have been battling it for quite some time. The mind has a way of locking in on trauma and refusing to let go. I suppose the mind is forming a protective shield from the event happening again. They are expecting a significant rise in PTSD since the Irag War. In fact the Navy Seals first comment on the recent Boston Marathon Bombings was " Don't be surprised if this is an Iraqi War Vet ". It was not, but it was clear that the impact of trauma is becoming evident to many. I knew of a Vietnam War Vet ( an older brother of someone I knew) that would drive his vehicle up alongside people on the highway and shoot them. He believed he was still in Vietnam fighting the war. So PTSD can be devastating. I have had a touch of this myself. You have my sympathy. Even though you can logically separate yourself from the event, it doesn't matter because traumatic memory has no logic.

Lin
04-30-2013, 02:15 AM
I have never had PTSD but would urge you to consider all ways of getting better that you are offered or can afford and stay open minded about them and try whatever you can to get head rest and some peace.

raggamuffin
04-30-2013, 03:15 AM
Drugs mask symptoms sometimes. Never address root problems. I hid from my depression for 7 years in a cloud of weed. Then I wound up with anxiety due to smoking weed everyday. You'll no doubt get similar problems from drinking all the time to hide from anxiety or other issues. Deal with root problems to help yourself instead of hiding by intoxicating yourself.

Ed