PDA

View Full Version : Dating/relationship anxiety

moobr
04-11-2013, 10:01 AM
Hi!

Just wondering if anyone else has dealt with this and what they did to get through it.

I was in a relationship for 5 years that ended a little over 2 years ago when I decided to end things. At that point, I was pretty excited for the future and meeting new people. I took some time to just be single for about 9 months and just focused on me, then I started dating a guy for a couple of months, and it didn't work out (long story, but turned out he had been lying to me the whole time we dated). I took another short break, and had another relationship (about 8 months), was really falling for this guy, thought everything was going great, and then it ended abruptly with no warning and I was crushed for a little while. I waited again before dating (gave myself some time to heal), and now I've been dating someone I really like for a couple of months now.

The problem I'm now having is that I seem to be in an almost constant state of panic that he's going to end up hurting me and the thoughts and worry are consuming me. Luckily, I haven't been acting on this intense anxiety (I don't call or text constantly, I haven't been acting needy), since I know it's all in my head. I know logically that there's no way to predict the future, no matter who I date. I know logically that if I do end up getting hurt again, I'll just pick up the pieces and move on as I have before. But for some reason, no matter what I do, I can NOT seem to get logic and emotion/thoughts to coincide. I feel like I'm being ridiculous obsessing about it, and yet I can't stop.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Feedback of any sort?

NixonRulz
04-11-2013, 10:27 AM
Everything you write is completely normal. After this girl I was dating escaped I.....uh, maybe another time ; )

Being concerened about those things is fine. Obsessing probably leads you to here in this forum

Anxiety causes ridiculous thoughts. You are not fighting logic and emotion, you are fighting logic and symptoms of anxiety.

Realize that is why you are obsessing. Your anxiety is trying to trick you and dont be concerenede.

It will quickly fade.

I wish you a long realtioship with this guy

moobr
04-11-2013, 10:59 AM
Thank you :) I keep trying to remind myself of that!