PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone here found out their anxiety was caused by sleep apnea?

FordingTheWaters
03-21-2013, 01:19 AM
I'm really starting to wonder if I have an undiagnosed case.
Every night while I doze off, my breathing feels more forced and shallow and I wake up during the night a lot. Last night it was each hour for I think two hours (these things are hard to tell) and then for another 4. I urinate a lot but that's because I drink a lot of water, and have to drink more because the doctors found out last night I'm dehydrated. But anyway, sometimes shortly before waking or shortly after I can feel my breath.

A couple years back,l I used to wake up gasping but I'm pretty sure that was acid reflux because it always happened after I ate high acid food (like steak & a1 sauce or something like that) and it's happened to me even while awake.

This is why I'm worried:
-The breathing issues
-Waking up so much
-Not feeling rested

This is why it's a gray area:
-I'm not overweight, I'm actually almost underweight
-I'm small, not short but small framed. I'm ectomorphic and I have a narrow neck
-Anxiety is still very bad, and I'm aware anxiety causes breathing problems
-I haven't gotten REALLY good sleep in a long time and I have loads of sleep debt, so I can't say for sure that It's not just simple exhaustion
-Sleep fragmentation was never this bad before anxiety got out of control.

Last night I slept decently but the first couple of times I woke up I felt positively strained... every last muscle was like.. flexing hard. IT was so weird. I kept thinking my body was done for.
\

Im wondering if the anxiety is causing the symptoms or if the anxiety is caused by the apnea (if present). It makes me hesitant to use my sleep medicine because I heard that's not a good mix. My GP thinks I DONT have it but all he really said was "no... very unlikely at your size" and blew it off. Could I get maybe a consultation with a sleep clinic?

Anyone else with anxiety felt you had sleep apnea? I'm just concerned. Maybe I have no such thing. I really hope I don't!

PS, what short term solutions are available for people who suspect something? I know they make mouth pieces. What about an oximeter to see if my oxygen goes down?

cabcom
05-18-2013, 03:31 PM
Yeah, I think I have sleep apnea too, but I am overweight. Not sure what to do.

NixonRulz
05-18-2013, 04:27 PM
My guess would be your anxiety is caused by your fear of dying in your sleep.

Make sure you have a sleep center diagnose you if you have apnea

Extremely rare when someone dies from that. But not feeling rested like you do is common.