PDA

View Full Version : Fear of being bipolar II?

Hey Guys
06-29-2007, 08:30 AM
Alright so this past week while talking to my psychologist I mentioned the fact that I think I have GAD to which he responded "you probably do." But what worries me about this is the co-morbidity of mood disorders that come along with GAD. I notice my anxiety has been improving and I have been in higher spirits as of late, but once I start feeling good at all I think to myself "oh no, what if I'm going into my manic phase!" which starts the worry up all over again. What really bothers me is the fact that I KNOW I don't exhibit symptoms of being bipolar II...yet I can't stop worrying about whether or not I have it.

Does anyone else find that their worries are more directed at having a serious mental disorder rather than something physical? Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

goirish99
06-29-2007, 09:24 AM
Hi,

I am blessed with a Bipolar I diagnosis and Generalized Anxiety Disorder/Adult Separation Anxiety. From my experience the two illnesses are very different experiences. While anxiety can spur some mania, the anxiety is not the sole reason behind the mania- it is a chemical imbalance only partially caused by stress. That being said, I believe anxiety to be something that is much easier to control cognitively than bipolar disorder, which certainly requires mediations (usually mood stabalizers). However, I think don't think people progress from anxiety to mood disorders. They are distinct diseases.

I will say, though that my separation anxiety has caused much more harm in my life. When untreated I am unable to direct my own life and make independent decisions. Instead I am left avoiding life and feeling incompetent and depressed. Mania has been quite easy to spot and control with medication. Anxiety takes alot more work.

Hope that helps some.