PDA

View Full Version : Is there a difference?

brickyard_red
09-15-2005, 05:55 PM
Does anyone think there is a difference between anxiety brought on by a traumatic experience and anxiety that is inherited?

I have both. Severe anxiety and depression has been in my family for generations. My mom has been hospitalized because of it and at one point even recieved shock treatments.

I have suffered with depression since my teen years and as I get older my anxiety gets worse and worse. I also had a traumatic experience in my teens that has caused many of my phobias.

I just wondered if anyone thought there could be a difference between the two.

Cath

Bridgie
09-16-2005, 09:36 AM
I think there is a bit of a difference Cath. Some anxieties or panic attacks are brought on by a traumatic experience, and maybe some are inherited.

This is what happened to me. About 15 years ago I was driving to the beach, and had to drive over the Bay Bridge. A VERY big long bridge. I was extremely stressed out from work. I never had fear of bridges before. Well half way over the bridge I had a HUGE panic attack just come out of the blue. I mean I was shaking uncontrollably, hyperventilating and started seeing spots in front of my eyes like I was going to pass out. I do not know how I ever made it across that bridge. I cried the whole rest of the way to the beach. Driving back the following week I had to take a brown paper bag and breathe into it to keep from hyperventilating while driving over the bridge again.

So that was the beginning, the seed had been planted. Fear of bridges, overpasses, then heights, escalators, then driving, and now just going places and being around people. So I think my anxiety was brought on by stress, and has just snowballed out of control. :cry:

shoe
09-16-2005, 10:32 AM
Cath, there are so many things to take into account with anxiety disorders, its really tough for someone to pinpoint the exact why or how.

Some scientists believe there may be a certain gene that is passed down that make people more susceptible to get anxiety or depression (or both). The presence of this gene alone doesn't mean the person will definitely become stricken with anxiety/depression, it only means they are more predisposed to the possibility of it happening given the right 'trigger'.

By trigger, I mean certain life-stressors need to happen to set it off. And it might not be enough that those stressors happen on their own.. there might need to be additional coocurring conditions or events that make the event or situation become more than just an isolated occurence, to become a real disorder.

Your perception of things, your knowledge of your surroundings, the feeling of or lack of perceived control, the resiliency you may or may not have in bouncing back from things, as well as the all important interpersonal support, all play a part in whether some event in your life becomes a small nothing or a very consuming something. Plus, factors such as how you were raised, the environment you grew up in, the way people that affect you most have behaved and maybe changed you, as well as your relationship with your peers etc.. gosh, so many things to take into account when thinking of these things. And theres the biological to take into account as well.. what things are happening on a cellular level in your body... etc etc

There's a lot of puzzle pieces to put together to solve these mysteries :?

brickyard_red
09-16-2005, 11:38 AM
Thanks for your input bridgie and shoe, I appreciate it alot!! To tell you the truth I hadn't really thought about it before yesterday when I wrote that question out. It just all of a sudden popped in my head and I thought I would put in on here and see what others had to say. So, thank you. :)

Cath