PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone experienced this w their leg? This one's new to me!

gracejack
03-04-2013, 07:37 PM
Hi!

Just a little background...I have dealt with anxiety since I was a child and I am now a 36 yr old mom with two children. About 10 years ago I started having panic attacks, that would last for hours. I felt like i could not take a deep breath and just felt like I was going crazy and at times would be shaky. It was more of an out of this world feeling. Many times this would happen at restaurants and I would also feel like I could not swallow my food and my mouth would feel like it does after you have been in the cold for too long..rubbery. I went went on Zoloft one an off for a few years and It did work well for me. I have not been on it for about four years and I am trying to avoid having to take it bc of a few side effects. I started therapy last week.

OK....there have been many stressful event in my life as of late and I am not sure if my symptoms are physical or anxiety driven and I wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this. Some of my mouth symptoms are communing back where my jaw and tongue just feel tired and when nervous I feel like my "S" doesn't come out right. This feeling does disappear after a bit and I feel normal again. Well, as normal as I get :). Then a few weeks ago I was walking into a store and one of my feet felt weird. Not weird actually or not numb, just almost like I was aware of it and my focus was on walking. After a few hours I realized that I had been sitting with my leg crossed for about an hour prior to this. However, that feeling already took hold and I began to fixate on this. Usually when distracted I do not notice but when I really think about walking it is like i have to think more about that foot than the other and even notices once or twice that my hand/arm on that side felt the same way. When I had my first therapy appt last week, I was SO anxious that for a moment I wasn't sure I was going to be able to move that leg or arm. I was able to but for a moment I was gripped with the fear it wouldn't work when I tried to move it. That went away after I calmed down but then again today I got very anxious and the feeling came back. then both my legs became wobbly and nervous feeling. I was again ok after a bit and I calmed down. I am freaking out this isn't anxiety but ms/als. Why isn't that feeling in both feet/legs. It seems to come back as I start to panic.

A year and half ago I went for an MRI for a hot feeling on the side of my face and it came back ok and then I went to a neuro for about five visits and he felt it was related to my very tight shoulder and neck muscles and getting nervous. That seemed to go away. I do have semi hyper reflexes he said, but I have had the since I was a child. I really hate to go back bc I am scared and going thru those tests did a number on me. So i want to wait for a few more days to see if this subsides and to see more of a pattern. I will certainly go it this continues but I was wondering if anyone has any insight? Thanks!

shellsjack
04-10-2013, 06:07 PM
Ughhh. I have the same fixation issues. I fixate on my hip being sore or a headache and IRS all I can think about. Why is it sore? What did I do? Why could I have a headache? Ok I have a headache but how's my vision? One nasty thought leads to another. When distracted I'm fine but second I have a bad thought it becomes thought number one and everything else is secondary. J can carry on conversations but I'm barely focused on what the person is saying. I hate my mind. If tired I wonder if I'm sick. Why am I so tired? I work in a medical field Nd that only makes my life worse. I'm 39 married with 3 kids and 2 step kids. Always been a worrier but has gotten progressively worse over the last year.

jbevis
04-10-2013, 06:17 PM
Ughhh. I have the same fixation issues. I fixate on my hip being sore or a headache and IRS all I can think about. Why is it sore? What did I do? Why could I have a headache? Ok I have a headache but how's my vision? One nasty thought leads to another. When distracted I'm fine but second I have a bad thought it becomes thought number one and everything else is secondary. J can carry on conversations but I'm barely focused on what the person is saying. I hate my mind. If tired I wonder if I'm sick. Why am I so tired? I work in a medical field Nd that only makes my life worse. I'm 39 married with 3 kids and 2 step kids. Always been a worrier but has gotten progressively worse over the last year.

Omg you just described me! I'm the same way, fixating on every little sensation in my body. It sucks doesn't it!?

shellsjack
04-10-2013, 06:34 PM
Totally sucks. I love this forum because when I have a wierd feeling, I come here and search it and realize I'm going to be okay....this time.

alfred24
04-11-2013, 02:58 AM
Hi!

Just a little background...I have dealt with anxiety since I was a child and I am now a 36 yr old mom with two children. About 10 years ago I started having panic attacks, that would last for hours. I felt like i could not take a deep breath and just felt like I was going crazy and at times would be shaky. It was more of an out of this world feeling. Many times this would happen at restaurants and I would also feel like I could not swallow my food and my mouth would feel like it does after you have been in the cold for too long..rubbery. I went went on Zoloft one an off for a few years and It did work well for me. I have not been on it for about four years and I am trying to avoid having to take it bc of a few side effects. I started therapy last week.

OK....there have been many stressful event in my life as of late and I am not sure if my symptoms are physical or anxiety driven and I wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this. Some of my mouth symptoms are communing back where my jaw and tongue just feel tired and when nervous I feel like my "S" doesn't come out right. This feeling does disappear after a bit and I feel normal again. Well, as normal as I get :). Then a few weeks ago I was walking into a store and one of my feet felt weird. Not weird actually or not numb, just almost like I was aware of it and my focus was on walking. After a few hours I realized that I had been sitting with my leg crossed for about an hour prior to this. However, that feeling already took hold and I began to fixate on this. Usually when distracted I do not notice but when I really think about walking it is like i have to think more about that foot than the other and even notices once or twice that my hand/arm on that side felt the same way. When I had my first therapy appt last week, I was SO anxious that for a moment I wasn't sure I was going to be able to move that leg or arm. I was able to but for a moment I was gripped with the fear it wouldn't work when I tried to move it. That went away after I calmed down but then again today I got very anxious and the feeling came back. then both my legs became wobbly and nervous feeling. I was again ok after a bit and I calmed down. I am freaking out this isn't anxiety but ms/als. Why isn't that feeling in both feet/legs. It seems to come back as I start to panic.

A year and half ago I went for an MRI for a hot feeling on the side of my face and it came back ok and then I went to a neuro for about five visits and he felt it was related to my very tight shoulder and neck muscles and getting nervous. That seemed to go away. I do have semi hyper reflexes he said, but I have had the since I was a child. I really hate to go back bc I am scared and going thru those tests did a number on me. So i want to wait for a few more days to see if this subsides and to see more of a pattern. I will certainly go it this continues but I was wondering if anyone has any insight? Thanks!

I had this! I too felt it at the store. As if my foot or leg was weaker than my right one. It felt like I had to use a bit more strength to walk on it. I was fixated on it and almost had a panic attack because of it. And of course the symptoms just have to be similar to those of a more serious disease -___- but it isn't. It's just anxiety make you feel this way

gracejack
04-16-2013, 06:49 PM
Thanks for the replies! Living like this is seriously torture. I feel like it all spirals. I have been through a ton of blood tests recently but I really feel like they have missed something. I also am too terrified to go back to the neurologist at this point. I feel like i should press for further testing for Lyme disease.

Also, my foot started tingling too and now that is another obsession. Does anyone wake up with their hands asleep? I feel like I clench my hands and hold them tight when i sleep and now it seems to have bothered one of my hands. I hope that's all it is. i swear I wait for new symptoms everyday. Just started taking klonopin on occasion, which both scares me but also helps me.

Judie
04-16-2013, 07:10 PM
Well of course we all fixate on symptoms, anxiety is a " hypersensitive " Nervous System. Everyone has the same sensations as we do but it's simply that we are " acutely" aware of the symptoms because to us they are more " pronounced". When we react to something that really isn't of concern and not even recognized by a NON anxiety person we pour out adrenaline because we have alerted our brain to the fight or flight response. The true power comes in knowing that these symptoms are part of your disorder and not reacting to them. Sadly this is very difficult because you feel so horrible that it is next to impossible to believe that your thoughts are the problem not a disease.

gracejack
04-16-2013, 07:49 PM
Thanks Judie! I am really hoping the meds kick in and my symptoms go away bc I am terrified to go for more tests as I have been thru so many lately and they keep adding to my anxiety. Actually my ex doctor ordered an incorrect vitamin d test a few weeks ago for me and it came up high and can mean all of these terrible things. However, I have a ct scan, thyroid scan, a ton of bloodwork and they can't find anything or even the relevance of the test bc no one ever order this test!!! But can you imagine, already being anxious and then having this hanging over you head. I feel like a ticking time bomb!