PDA

View Full Version : On the road to recovery

vanessac
02-15-2013, 03:43 AM
Ok so I am not completely free from worrying about my health or general anxiety disorder but I feel a whole lot better than I did.

Back in Nov 12 I couldn't face anything! if I wasn't in bed I was pacing up and down worrying about anything and everything. I had my first panic attack in the Aug 12 which then triggered anxiety depression and within 6 wks my life had spiralled downwards and out of control. I I couldn't work I felt agoraphobic and was basically stuck with negative thoughts and numb feelings.

I lost almost 2 stone in weight due to not wanting to eat and severe acid reflux which then caused terrible indigestion every time I tried to eat and drink.

However I so did not want to take the anti depressants (because I was petrified of the side effects) and I desperately wanted to get better.

So I started to see a therapist once a week and one of the biggest learnings for me was YOU CANNOT OVERCOME YOUR FEARS UNLESS YOU FACE THEM

Now to be fair I've heard this saying many times but it was only when I actually started facing my fears did my life start to change!

So I returned to wrk back in Dec after having 3 mths off and I have found that ROUTINE has definitely HELPED. (I guess I don't have the time to worry about how I'm feeling all day long).

I started to keep a FOOD diary to ensure that I was eating the right types of food little and often, (porridge fruit fish and veg). Although it was tough at first and some days still is still I have noticed a huge improvement in my digestive system enabling me to enjoy food again and gain some if the weight I had lost.

I started to unwind at the same time every night to get my body in a ROUTINE for sleep. Naturally I felt more tired of an evening because I was back at wrk during the day. But by having a hot bath followed by a cup of camomile tea at the same time every night, my body soon started to unwind at the same like an alarm clock allowing me to have a peaceful nights sleep.

I started a Yoga class and there's no doubt that yoga is fantastic for relaxing unwinding and gentle exercise, but for me it's more about having some ME TIME. Some time where I can let go of all the worry and stress of anxiety, depression, wrk, being a single Mother of two, money etc.
I have to say I feel so relaxed after a class, it beats any Wine I've ever drank lol.

I started to replace negative thoughts with positive thought, it's tough but for every negative there is a POSITIVE so I just keep reminding myself of that.

I don't want to give the impression that I am fully rid of the anxiety or the depression, but by doing the things that I have mentioned my life really has changed for the better and I feel a lot more confident!

If the changes that I have made can help me then they will help you also. Good luck to everyone out there trying to overcome the shitty feelings of anxiety and depression ! You are not alone don't let it get the better of you!

jamus75
02-15-2013, 04:03 AM
Great to hear. Glad you have found some peace. My anxiety has been improving also and now have the ability to shut down some panic attacks. Not 100% yet but getting there.

Hidalgo21
02-15-2013, 06:48 AM
Whats are your biggest fears ?

vanessac
02-15-2013, 08:23 AM
Jamus75 that's great news being able to shut them down is a great achievement sounds like your in control. Give it time and in sure the anxiety will fade into the back ground x

vanessac
02-15-2013, 08:28 AM
Hidalgo my biggest fears were facing everyday life.

May sound silly but getting out of bed was a fear, a fear that I was going to have heart attack if I did too much. Going to work going out alone, driving eating out in fact just going out in general. Simple day to day activities were just too much to face because I was so fearful of something happening to me x

Hidalgo21
02-15-2013, 01:28 PM
Yea I feel you , I feel kind of the same , sometimes in the morning I feel depress , I hate going to work but I have to , the other day I went to a modeling volleyball tournament there was music many people , but when I got there I felt out of breath and heart beat super fast it was so annoying I had to leave , I can't be the same happy person even tho it makes.me understand much life , checking my heart rate often makes,me worst idk how to stop

bajablue
02-15-2013, 08:19 PM
Yoga is a good complimentary aid to the battle against anxiety for me too. I am not young and not quite (54) old but it helps me find an inner calm. I started Yoga at 53.

vanessac
02-20-2013, 03:19 PM
Bajablue glad to hear the yoga helps you too x

emzii
03-23-2013, 07:54 AM
Glad to see someone in control, it gives me some hope!

albgirl82
03-23-2013, 11:42 AM
You give me hope!! I can't wait until the day of my obssesive thoughts to be reduced.

Lin
03-25-2013, 08:24 AM
Just joined this thread - I have mornings when I don't want to depress and definitely not go to work and have to plush myself. I find it a nightmare feeling. I have just done a NHS recovery and we'll being tool kit course and think it is going to help. I have started my tool kit and my happy part if it is a bright rainbow showing 7 colours which represent the days of the week. I am going to look at on a Monday and each weekday to inspire me to go to work so that I get to the end of the rainbow on a Friday night and can stay in my home safe again all weekend. Others might find doing their own personal tool kit for problems a help.