PDA

View Full Version : Snow, snow, snow, setting off my anxiey horribly!

1Goofy1
01-24-2013, 04:18 AM
Hi everyone,
I live in Michigan not to far from the lake shore and we are getting hammered with snow.
I don't know why it is setting off my anxiety, in years past I would enjoy the view, make a hot cup of tea and cuddle up with a book in contented bliss.
This year for some reason it is making me crazy wishing I could crawl out of my own skin. Gray and snowy, icy roads, snow overhanging all the windows and building up to the point of snow blowing trails for the dogs to get through to pee because of the depth of it. Sheesh, I can not enjoy anything right now, it is making me feel trapped! Does anyone else have this type of issue and how do you deal with it?

joshhiboii
01-24-2013, 05:23 AM
Hey think yourself lucky i live in norwich england ad its snowing alot but doesn look half as noce as i bet yours does but yeah in the winter coldness wet that des tend to me feel quite depressed

1Goofy1
01-24-2013, 05:52 AM
Hey think yourself lucky i live in norwich england ad its snowing alot but doesn look half as noce as i bet yours does but yeah in the winter coldness wet that des tend to me feel quite depressed

Oh I bet it is beautiful there also. England is one of my bucket list places to visit with all the rich history and beauty.
How long do your winters tend to last and how do you get through the yuck and anxiety of it all. Crap, even when I do need to venture out it just revs it up because the roads are SOLID ice. It is too cold for any salt or road treatments to work.
Thank you so much for responding, sometimes just knowing I am not the only banana on the bunch of a certain issue helps immensely. I am warming my car right now trying to get my heart rate under control to drive to work. Yikes!
Keep in touch!

joshhiboii
01-24-2013, 05:55 AM
Well to be honest winters change so much here in the uk, it cold very cold last november warmed up through december n now it january its in its minues n will be till around end of feb start of march but yes the cold n that does get to me and doesnt elp working in a cold warehouse! : (

PhoenixStorm
01-24-2013, 07:05 AM
Hi everyone,
I live in Michigan not to far from the lake shore and we are getting hammered with snow.
I don't know why it is setting off my anxiety, in years past I would enjoy the view, make a hot cup of tea and cuddle up with a book in contented bliss.
This year for some reason it is making me crazy wishing I could crawl out of my own skin. Gray and snowy, icy roads, snow overhanging all the windows and building up to the point of snow blowing trails for the dogs to get through to pee because of the depth of it. Sheesh, I can not enjoy anything right now, it is making me feel trapped! Does anyone else have this type of issue and how do you deal with it?

I deal with this too... Some or my anxiety is seasonal or brought on my weather. Winter is just one of those times you seem like you can worry about.. driving in winter for me doesn't happen anymore.. but I used to not even worry about it... And just did it. Try to look at positivity. Like tell yourself good things when you need to leave the house.. Like how pretty the snow is.. or reassure yourself that you are a good driver when the roads look bad.. make it enjoyable for you.

Now dogs.. I totally get that! I have 4 and with it being so cold (-30 one day) they are in the house more and outside less... And I think they are getting cabin fever! Luckily I have my husband, do you have a supportive person you see a lot?

vakim78
01-24-2013, 10:26 AM
I use to enjoy it too. But now weather sets mine off too! Snow makes me feel trapped like If something happens to me no one can get to me! And summer is the worse, thunderstorms and tornado warning??? Omg I could just die!

jhunter89
01-24-2013, 10:40 AM
It's a bitch to cycle in... I hate it!

1Goofy1
01-24-2013, 08:22 PM
I deal with this too... Some or my anxiety is seasonal or brought on my weather. Winter is just one of those times you seem like you can worry about.. driving in winter for me doesn't happen anymore.. but I used to not even worry about it... And just did it. Try to look at positivity. Like tell yourself good things when you need to leave the house.. Like how pretty the snow is.. or reassure yourself that you are a good driver when the roads look bad.. make it enjoyable for you.

Now dogs.. I totally get that! I have 4 and with it being so cold (-30 one day) they are in the house more and outside less... And I think they are getting cabin fever! Luckily I have my husband, do you have a supportive person you see a lot?

Yes, I have somewhat of a support person, actually people. I live in a neighborhood where my parents also live and also my cousin. She also has panic disorder. My husband is pretty good support but doesn't completely get it which it fine. He tries, but I think if you have never had it it is probably a bit of a wonder.
I try to keep most of it to myself just because it has been 10 years and I don't want it to consume their lives to.
In talking to my mother recently she told me her mother (I never met, died young), used to take something due to always being nervous and my grandmother on my fathers side never took anything we know of but it was very apparent she was nervous and jumpy all the time.
Evidently I come from a 2 sided family of GAD.
I have been doing a lot of reading to understand more and trying to take yoga classes which hasn't been going well for the last week because of all the ice on the roads.
I find this site helpful though, I wouldn't wish it on anyone but nice to not be the only one at the same time.

justconfused
01-24-2013, 08:31 PM
I use to enjoy it too. But now weather sets mine off too! Snow makes me feel trapped like If something happens to me no one can get to me! And summer is the worse, thunderstorms and tornado warning??? Omg I could just die!

I live in Tennessee and from the beginning of spring all the way through summer almost there are tornadoes like crazy. The humidity here can turn a day with not a single cloud into thunderstorms and a tornado in no time. I can't stand it.

PhoenixStorm
01-24-2013, 10:23 PM
Yes, I have somewhat of a support person, actually people. I live in a neighborhood where my parents also live and also my cousin. She also has panic disorder. My husband is pretty good support but doesn't completely get it which it fine. He tries, but I think if you have never had it it is probably a bit of a wonder.
I try to keep most of it to myself just because it has been 10 years and I don't want it to consume their lives to.
In talking to my mother recently she told me her mother (I never met, died young), used to take something due to always being nervous and my grandmother on my fathers side never took anything we know of but it was very apparent she was nervous and jumpy all the time.
Evidently I come from a 2 sided family of GAD.
I have been doing a lot of reading to understand more and trying to take yoga classes which hasn't been going well for the last week because of all the ice on the roads.
I find this site helpful though, I wouldn't wish it on anyone but nice to not be the only one at the same time.

Well its good to have someone that can help and is supportive.. I would probably die without my husband being here.. even though he isn't understanding all of the time.... I find myself holding back a lot with my husband when I'm having a bad day...because I know he doesn't get it all the time. This site has helped me a lot too.. to know that I'm not really alone.

vakim78
01-24-2013, 10:54 PM
And don't get me started on global warming!!' That's my newest fear! -.-

1Goofy1
01-25-2013, 04:04 AM
I live in Tennessee and from the beginning of spring all the way through summer almost there are tornadoes like crazy. The humidity here can turn a day with not a single cloud into thunderstorms and a tornado in no time. I can't stand it.

Funny, we have been looking for houses in Tennessee.
Hopefully in a year or so will be able to make the move. We are looking in the Knoxville, Maryville area.

PhoenixStorm
01-25-2013, 07:07 AM
Hopefully in a year or so will be able to make the move. We are looking in the Knoxville, Maryville area.

Maryville.. :) I used to live in Townsend, TN... The mountains are beautiful.. I used to walk around for hours taking pics

justconfused
01-25-2013, 02:18 PM

I live in Middle Tn about 50 miles east of Nashville, but have been out that way several times. East Tn is beautiful. If you get the chance you should definitely check out Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. Very close to Knoxville. Big tourist attraction. I actually go on vacation there every summer and stay in a cabin in the mountains. There is so much to see and Dollywood is extremely fun as well. I'm just so scared of heights I never get to do any of the good roller coasters or anything, lol.

PhoenixStorm
01-25-2013, 02:27 PM
I live in Middle Tn about 50 miles east of Nashville, but have been out that way several times. East Tn is beautiful. If you get the chance you should definitely check out Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. Very close to Knoxville. Big tourist attraction. I actually go on vacation there every summer and stay in a cabin in the mountains. There is so much to see and Dollywood is extremely fun as well. I'm just so scared of heights I never get to do any of the good roller coasters or anything, lol.

Gorgeous.. luckily I was there at a time in my life when my anxiety was much more manageable! Gatlinburg is my town :)

justconfused
01-25-2013, 02:43 PM
Gorgeous.. luckily I was there at a time in my life when my anxiety was much more manageable! Gatlinburg is my town :)

I know isn't that the truth. I was there actually debating on doing the ski lifts. There is no way I'd even think for a second about it now, and would struggle to go see all the stuff. It's weird looking back at how easy it was back then just last year.