PDA

View Full Version : Comfort habits

temperancebrennan
01-19-2013, 04:01 PM
What sort of comfort habits do people have when they feel anxiety?
I watch Hot Rod or Napoleon Dynamite on DVD. Play solitaire on my phone. Mess around with makeup.
I need to get out of these habits. I feel anxious at the moment & tried to watch a different film, but couldn't do it & had to put Hot Rod on again. :/

Ahlstrom
01-19-2013, 05:27 PM
I always put my hand to my neck to check my pulse, sometimes I just sort of automatically do it.
If I'm not at home I feel a strong urge to drive home

metallijim
01-19-2013, 05:46 PM
I find episodes of QI on YouTube relax me in a matter of minutes. Don't know why but it works. Also I love the show too so it's win win :p

ikilledadragon
01-19-2013, 07:38 PM
They are two great films. Why wouldn't you want to watch them?

a l i c i a
01-20-2013, 01:22 AM
I'm the same way. I have a couple different movies/shows that make me feel better when I'm anxious! I try to watch other things but I always go back to the ones that make me feel better. I don't really like change!

temperancebrennan
01-20-2013, 07:47 AM
It's not that I don't want to watch them, they're 2 of my favourite films. I just need to get out of certain habits.
It's just routine I guess.

abbyholmess
01-20-2013, 08:07 AM
I bite my nails incessantly, and crack my knuckles.

jhunter89
01-20-2013, 08:10 AM
I bite my nails incessantly, and crack my knuckles.

I do this too.. I also run my fingers through my hair a lot and if I see a split end I have to pull it out I also clear my throat after I speak to someone nearly everytime :-/

Cara1989
01-20-2013, 09:46 AM
This is weird but I rub my stomach lol

moonchild1986
01-20-2013, 02:54 PM
If I'm at home ill listen to music. Or do a work out !

mommy2
01-20-2013, 10:53 PM
I play a game on my phone or back when I had bad bad panic attacks I watched SVU it was always on the DVR oh and all I could eat we're cracker with jelly and sprite

JekelandHyde
01-20-2013, 10:58 PM
I usually listen to a nice soothing slow song. Pickup Truck by Kings of Leon is my new comfort song. Also doing deep breaths and imagining the anxiety floating away in the wind helps out. Took me awhile to get there but it works well.
Hope you find a tea that you want in your cup!

adieno
01-25-2013, 09:18 AM
I journal if I can depending how intense it is. I also watch friends, listen to a meditation recording, breath exercises, or make myself think of the rationality of my fears at the moment. It normally leads you to identify that you are ok and decreases the symptoms.

adrenalyn
01-25-2013, 08:01 PM
I watch a movie, The Big Lebowski lately or any comedy movie...helps to laugh.

laurandisorder
01-25-2013, 09:12 PM
At the moment, I watch Community - the BEST comedy on television. It relives the anxious feelings and always makes me laugh out loud. I also read a lot - I have favourite books that I turn to when I have nothing new to read.

I am also fortunate enough to have a very supportive partner and I know I can call him any time to have a chat and that helps me so much.

Going with a long walk with my doggy also helps a lot. Seeing him being so happy in the fresh air makes me happy.