PDA

View Full Version : Can't bring myself to write it down...

Pixton
05-26-2007, 11:40 AM
My councellor told me that I should write down my exact thoughts (if I could), so that we could go through them together. I agreed to do it, but I have no idea why I can't seem to write anything. It's like I can say that I'm afraid, but I don't want to say what of. I can't bring myself to write down my exact thoughts at the exact moment.

Does that happen to anyone else? What can I do to help myself?

V for Victor
05-27-2007, 08:49 AM
Sometimes when we're confronted to explain what it is we're really afraid of, we have no answer. This is likely because there really is no outside threat to us that's making us scared, it's a glitch in our brains, or a chemical inbalance.

Just try to think about what triggers you're anxiety. When does it flare up? Try to categorize it. Is it always health-related or is it something else?

MikeMarcoe
05-28-2007, 07:46 PM
I suggest you just keep writing down the fact that you are afraid. Write it in different ways, with different words. Write it 100 different ways. This will actually jog your mind and help you find what it is you are afraid of.

If what you have is pure anxiety, then you may not have much luck identifying what it is you are afraid of, since anxiety is basically a fear of the unknown. But with 100 different descriptions of your symptoms, your counselor may see something in there that you can't.

kevin
05-29-2007, 01:15 AM
My councellor told me that I should write down my exact thoughts (if I could), so that we could go through them together. I agreed to do it, but I have no idea why I can't seem to write anything. It's like I can say that I'm afraid, but I don't want to say what of. I can't bring myself to write down my exact thoughts at the exact moment.

Does that happen to anyone else? What can I do to help myself?

I dont know about you, but for me its pretty much impossible to write down the way I feel and what I am thinking on paper. Not because I am scared or dont want to, but because it is extremely difficult to put it into words.

Pixton
05-29-2007, 06:17 AM
Thanks for your replies.

It is difficult to put in to words. Half the time I know what I'm afraid of, like being terribly ill - but I just can't write down exactly the illness, or why I'm thinking this for example. The other half of the time I'm just randomly really anxious, and I don't know why - I can't describe wheat I don't know.

Do you think it's some sort of mechanism I've developed? Like a really bad way to help me cope with fear or something. I really hope it's not a glitch or a chemical imbalance.

MikeMarcoe
05-29-2007, 08:13 AM
Do you think it's some sort of mechanism I've developed? Like a really bad way to help me cope with fear or something. I really hope it's not a glitch or a chemical imbalance.

It sounds like some kind of protective mechanism. It's probably 100% psychological, too.

You said that half the time you know what you're afraid of. Why not start there? Write down what it is you're afraid of, as well as your bodily symptoms.

Pixton
05-29-2007, 10:57 AM
I'm trying to. I've done it a couple of times now. I just hope I can do it more often.

I didn't realise something so simple could be so hard.