PDA

View Full Version : Need help at the moment.

temperancebrennan
01-15-2013, 03:21 AM
I'm in work & a panic attack has happened again. I could feel it building up on my commute. I tried to talk myself out of it, but it's not gone away. I've taken a diazepam & am waiting for it to kick in, but it's really bad at the moment. I've had to run into the toilets so I can be alone.

laurandisorder
01-15-2013, 03:28 AM
Take some sips of water and do some deep breathing. If you can time your breathing, you ideally want to breathe in for 4 seconds and breathe out for 6, aiming to take 6 complete breaths a minute.

This should get you on the way to calming down. Your diazapam should kick in after about 20 minutes, and the breathing will help. Then tell the anxiety to get stuffed and get busy.

The less time you spend trying to control the attack, the better. Let it ride it's course, accept it for what it is and move on.

Good luck, honey. Let us know how you're going?

dazza
01-15-2013, 03:28 AM
I'm in work & a panic attack has happened again. I could feel it building up on my commute. I tried to talk myself out of it, but it's not gone away. I've taken a diazepam & am waiting for it to kick in, but it's really bad at the moment. I've had to run into the toilets so I can be alone.

NOT AGAIN! lol

Poor love. Is the valium working yet?

Here's something that might put a smile on your face:

Just had my water bill of £175 drop on my mat. That's a lot!
Oxfam can supply a whole African village for just £2 a month: time to change supplier I think. :-D

temperancebrennan
01-15-2013, 03:42 AM
I tried the breathing on the bus. I've tried reading & drinking my camomile tea. The Valium helps a slight bit, but it's only 2mg, so I'm still on edge.
I can barely feel my hands
I've just ended up crying infront of my supervisor whilst hiding in the toilets.
I have to wait 10-12 weeks for CBT & I don't know if I can cope for that long :(

dazza
01-15-2013, 03:47 AM
[QUOTE= The Valium helps a slight bit, but it's only 2mg, so I'm still on edge.
:([/QUOTE]

ONLY 2mg!!

That's the standard size pill and it should be fairly potent. Give it a bit more time.

temperancebrennan
01-15-2013, 03:52 AM
I took it at 9:55 so I think it should have started working by now. Would it be too soon to take another?
I seem to spend my whole life forcing myself to do things & trying to avoid the symptoms that happen on a daily basis.
I always have to have warm hands because cold can trigger an attack. If I get pins & needles from sitting funny, that can trigger it. Along with my eyes being tired from looking at something for too long, being aware of my legs when I'm walking, any tension in my stomach. The list goes on.

jhunter89
01-15-2013, 04:09 AM
I think you'll be fine to take another one, I think 2mg is too low for a full on panic attack!

dazza
01-15-2013, 04:13 AM
I took it at 9:55 so I think it should have started working by now. Would it be too soon to take another?
I seem to spend my whole life forcing myself to do things & trying to avoid the symptoms that happen on a daily basis.
I always have to have warm hands because cold can trigger an attack. If I get pins & needles from sitting funny, that can trigger it. Along with my eyes being tired from looking at something for too long, being aware of my legs when I'm walking, any tension in my stomach. The list goes on.

Bloody hell... you got it bad.

Although I'm well over it, I remember it and totally understand it. Any "uncomfortable feeling" can cause panic.

Never forget... this is your over-active mind at work here. It's NOT a disease!

My prescription said I could take up to 3 (2mg) diazepam a day. That's all I can say regarding dosage and frequency.

1 pill would pretty much knock me out!
Worst case I took 1.5 pills within 2 hours.

temperancebrennan
01-15-2013, 04:38 AM
It's ruining my life. I KNOW that it's anxiety. I've had various tests & apart from low iron count (I'm a long time vegetarian) everything came back okay.
It's just difficult to ignore the symptoms once they start.
I drink water, smoothies, camomile tea & decaf coffee instead of fizzy drinks & regular coffee & tea.
I use natural remedies. I take my medication on a daily basis. I use relaxation tapes on YouTube. I've started eating certain foods that are meant to help with anxiety. It just seems that nothing is working at the moment :(

hunn3yy
01-15-2013, 04:49 AM
I think you need someone to talk to about these fears like the cbt which sucks that you have to wait its like don't they know we are suffering daily here. Just talk to people like us until that time comes and remember you are not alone. I had a panic attack at school yesterday and had to just leave because I couldn't take it.

dazza
01-15-2013, 04:57 AM
It's ruining my life. I KNOW that it's anxiety. I've had various tests & apart from low iron count (I'm a long time vegetarian) everything came back okay.
It's just difficult to ignore the symptoms once they start.
I drink water, smoothies, camomile tea & decaf coffee instead of fizzy drinks & regular coffee & tea.
I use natural remedies. I take my medication on a daily basis. I use relaxation tapes on YouTube. I've started eating certain foods that are meant to help with anxiety. It just seems that nothing is working at the moment :(

You're doing all the right things, but you also need the CBT. This seems like the missing link.

Are you exercising? (I find a good, sweaty workout helps use up otherwise unwanted energy). Psychologically, it also reinforces the fact that you're OK, physically - which take a lot of
worry out of the anxiety equation.

temperancebrennan
01-15-2013, 05:13 AM
I have a 10-12 week waiting period for CBT. Was told that this morning. So I have to wait a phone call from them letting me know when I can have my first appointment

temperancebrennan
01-15-2013, 05:14 AM
There's a 10-12 week waiting list for CBT. I'm on the list, just have to wait for them to call me to arrange an appointment.

dazza
01-15-2013, 05:18 AM
There's a 10-12 week waiting list for CBT. I'm on the list, just have to wait for them to call me to arrange an appointment.

Is that NHS counselling you're talking about? or a proper CB-therapist?

Note: Counselling is not anywhere near as good as a CBT.

A good CBT in Cambridge costs £75 an hour (per session)... not a lot really when you consider the benefits.
I would book one of these if I were you.

You need between 5 and 10 sessions... so ~ £750 worst case.

dazza
01-15-2013, 05:33 AM
Have you tried reading the sticky on this forum?

http://anxietyforum.net/forum/showthread.php?11161-Anxiety-help-and-cognitive-behavioural-therapy-worksheets-from-professional-body

temperancebrennan
01-15-2013, 05:58 AM
I'll need to look at that when I'm not in work. Do they have to be printed?

It's CBT through a group called Oakdale based in Halifax. They said it was CBT through someone trained.

I would not be able to afford £75 a session over a short period of time & I don't think 1 per month would help.

dazza
01-15-2013, 07:48 AM
I would not be able to afford £75 a session over a short period of time & I don't think 1 per month would help.

It may be cheaper where you are... and I'd have paid anything for the help! borrowed the cash if I had to!

(Mine were paid by private health insurance) :-P

How are you feeling now?

temperancebrennan
01-15-2013, 08:51 AM
I called the company, cried down the phone to them for 30mins & they said they'll see if they can move me up the list. No promises though.

I still feel bloody dreadful. I ended up coming home after freaking out in a shop on my lunch break.

dazza
01-15-2013, 09:27 AM
I called the company, cried down the phone to them for 30mins & they said they'll see if they can move me up the list. No promises though.

I still feel bloody dreadful. I ended up coming home after freaking out in a shop on my lunch break.

Fingers crossed then, but id still be tempted to buy a couple sessions meantime.

Surprised the diazepam didnt work. You sure it was a diazepam & not a tic-tac? pmsl

Try taking another tonight before bed. I may help get you off to a better start tomorrow.

dazza
01-15-2013, 09:28 AM
Fingers crossed then, but id still be tempted to buy a couple sessions meantime.

Surprised the diazepam didnt work. You sure it was a diazepam & not a tic-tac? pmsl

Try taking another tonight before bed. *I may help get you off to a better start tomorrow.

*IT may not I may! lol

temperancebrennan
01-15-2013, 10:10 AM
I've taken another & hoping it works soon.

I might have to look into it, but I literally have £20 to last me until the 25th :/ January sucks for money haha.

Lars Lind
01-15-2013, 11:46 AM
Sad to hear, but I hope it'll get better