PDA

View Full Version : Fast Acting Anti-Depressant?

James
05-16-2007, 04:59 PM
what does everyone here use for quick releif of depression? I do NOT want to take meds as I have done a good job so far naturally.....for me the best is caffeine for depression. But when I have anxiety caffeine only makes that worse.

I also find that intense exercise does help but the hard part is getting off my ass when feeling so depressed to exercise. Once I get that start mode - it works wonders.

R8DRN8SHN
06-20-2007, 09:31 PM
Why do people refuse to go on meds ? Im wondering what its all about. Side-effects? Can you please tell me why because Im considering taking meds by the start of next school year.

06-29-2007, 09:53 AM
Hi Jame,

I also once had depression problems, and just like you I also don't like taking meds for it only gives me stomach upsets...And sometimes it makes me gonna vomit.

So what I did once to relax while depressed, is that I just defuse Lavender in my room and then while laying in my bed I smell it scent and it made me relax.

fernandogress
09-02-2009, 12:31 AM
Yes, exercise. If you are already a health nut, then work out even harder. Exercise gives a quick lift and is good for your body, too. There really is no instant "happy" pill. If you are concerned about weight loss you should review your Wellbutrin prescription with your doctor, since WB causes mild anorexia in many people.

Barcadia101
09-07-2009, 12:48 PM
It won't go away in a jiffy for anything, if you are not going to consider meds.

If you can keep it to a not so frequent affair..meds are not harmful.

Giz
09-14-2009, 03:57 PM
Simple answer; Theres no such thing.

In fact, theres no such thing as a proven, effective anti depressant full stop. At best, they scored high on the placebo efffect, but long term, theyre about as useful as an underwater hairdryer (one that could potentially explode and kill you)
So steer clear of them, they cause more harm than good.

You say you use caffiene for depression? Is this because you feel lethargic or low on energy? You could be low on B vitamins. Being low on B vitamins causes energy depletion, anxiety, depression, poor memory, poor concentration, irritability and or agression, rapid heartbeat, poor appetite, not dreaming/ remembering your dreams, itchy/gritty eyes, and in severe cases it can even cause you to start seeing and hearing things that arent actually there..

B vitamins are vital for releasing energy from food, and for brain function. And when we are under stress, we use up more B vitamins, therefore increasing our need for them. If you are low on B complex vitamins then you are going to start feeling pretty lousy and no amount of toxic drugs are going to help. They may mask some of the symptoms, but not before loading you up with nasty side effects. Sadly, there is an alarmingly high rate of suicide attempts and/or violent outbursts including mass murder among users of psychiatric medication. (See Columbine, Virginia Tech, etc.)

Im not going to make any assumptions about your diet, but I would urge you to stay off the caffiene, stimulants may help in the very very short term, but long term, they are causing more stress in the body, putting the adrenal glands under tremendous pressure. If you need a boost to get through the day, an adaptogenic herb such as ginseng or rhodiola would be more beneficial.

Also, you should try to cut down on any refined carbohydrates(eg, white bread, white pasta), opting for wholegrain equivalents, and reducing any sugary snacks. This will also have the added benefit of reducing your risk of type II diabetes (in fact, the majority of "mentally ill" people actually have the first stages of type II diabetes and just arent aware of it, again, the anti depressants dont help, and instead, a few years later the patient not only has depression/anxiety, they also have type II diabetes to worry about!!)

Get loads of water, get loads of fresh veg-organic or thoroughly washed, and as close to raw as possible, and cut out the stimulants.
Might also be worth getting your exercise outdoors, as recent studies are showing the many benefits of vitamin D in treating chronic illnesses-and sunlight is your best source of it. No sunscreen, just dont stay out long enough to burn.

The best part about this is the lack of side effects, you need to eat, you know you need vitamins, and you know that healthy diet & exercise=health. Theres no proof you need any drugs, so why bother messing about with them?

See Northstars post on natural tips to beat anxiety/depression. And if you dont believe me about the dangers of psychiatric drugs, check out the campaign for truth in medicines website, www.credence.org (http://www.credence.org) and search "psychiatry".

Best of luck to you!
Love & Light

Giz

But follow your instincts, save your own time, money and health and stay away from the drugs.

And for some interesting reading, see www.credence.org (http://www.credence.org) and search "psychiatry"

flowers2
10-22-2009, 04:59 PM
Exercise, proper diet, and mental hygenie. That means doing things which make me happy and are important to the continued mental functioning of me. Like calling friends, hanging out, just relaxing.

Best of luck!

FEAR&LOATHING
03-04-2010, 10:10 PM
ketamine, a tranquillizer/Dissociative, has been proven to be an effective antidepressant with immediate results. Currently only available in clinical trials.

As a side note, what do you consider drugs? Vitamins and amino acids are still drugs just with a different label.

But I would recommend fish oil as a "Drug" free alternative for depression.

MikeJsimon
03-10-2010, 12:05 PM
Deep Breathing. Try this. Put on some soft soothing music and start taking deep breaths. Hold your breath after each intake for 3-5 seconds and repeat this process until for several minutes or until you have reduced your anxiety to a satisfactory level. Doing this daily will help you control stress and anxiety.

Obviously managing anxiety is a complicated problem and we can go much more in depth on the root cause and many other techniques and remedies to greatly control it, and to help you live a healthier lifestyle.

Quoted from:
http://www.socialanxietyblogs.com/node/331

Vega
04-08-2010, 08:09 AM
While it won't cure or relieve depression with all people, eating healthy and exercising regularly can help to reduce or relieve depression. Before I went on medicine, I tried St. John's Wart and it didn't do anything. I'm happy with my medicine and it has helped me greatly. I don't think I could completely control my anxiety and mild depression without medicine.

lorelei13
05-05-2010, 07:58 PM
In fact, theres no such thing as a proven, effective anti depressant full stop. At best, they scored high on the placebo efffect, but long term, theyre about as useful as an underwater hairdryer (one that could potentially explode and kill you)
So steer clear of them, they cause more harm than good.

Not true. Antidepressants do work but hardly more than placebo. But they still do work more than placebo.

robrobin10
05-24-2010, 03:16 PM
There are a few quick fix options for depression.

The best ones in my opinion are hypnosis (meditation), exercise and music. All of these things if used in the right way can help lift people (temporarily) out of depressive states.

Theres also natural drugs (cannabis being the main one) which can help people cope with these kind of problems, but its not legal or acceptable everywhere.

Long term though you need to deal with the root of the problem, anything else is just a temporary fix at best. Yes some people do have deep rooted chemical imbalances, but that doesnt mean you need to use drugs(pharmaceutical or illicit) to live a normal life.

PTSDGAD
05-30-2010, 07:27 AM
Whatever you decide, STAY OFF ALCOHOL.
That is one of the worst things you can take which will make any mental health issue worse.
And exercise and diet is the most important for anxiety and depression.
SSRI's only work on about 10 percent of the population and the side effects are weight gain and high cholesterol.
All drugs have bad side effects.
You must weigh the risks versus the benefits on all of them.
Stay away from Ablify and Seroquel.
You can get diabetes from taking those drugs over time.
Yoga works wonders also.

ianpeterson
06-06-2010, 11:26 PM
My father was facing depression since 2 years and we came to know about it after a year when the symptoms started becoming more severe. After starting the treatment the physician prescribed the Xanax which are very fast acting but it used to last for lesser time. After some days he used to feel better and was feeling out of the depression.

jhon01
07-15-2010, 09:58 PM
HI
There are medications that can rapidly reduce depression and occasionally they are used as a stopgap measure. The primary drugs are stimulants, amphetamines and methylated . They are also used in people with severe refractory (treatment resistant) depression who fail to adequately respond to conventional drugs.
ALL The Best!

rmartin345
08-23-2010, 07:00 AM
The best ones in my opinion are hypnosis exercise and music.All of these things if used in the right way can help lift people out of depressive states.Jogging, cycling, walking, swimming or any other cardio vascular exercises.In combination with prayer and gratitude, depression does not stand a chance.Like any illness proper diagnosis is best so that it can be cured most effectively.

petterharry5
11-02-2010, 12:39 AM
Antidepressants are probably the first recession in a period of more than disappointing sales. Strong it is of value in treating stimulant dependence. Coca in a unique way to regulate carbohydrate metabolism and hypoglycemia and diabetes may provide a new therapeutic approach.