PDA

View Full Version : Fear of returning home

12-01-2012, 01:45 PM
I had a huge attack while at my house and now when I go back I get instantly worse. I can not pull myself out of this cycle and it causes me to vomit a lot. Is there anyway I can go home again without aging an attack?

MillieH
12-01-2012, 03:00 PM
I can relate a little, when I was in high school I got in the middle of one of my parents fights to protect my mom, had a huge panic attack and started hyperventilating. Now every time I get scared or angry I hyperventilate. You have learn little tricks, for me I need to hug a pillow and count slowly. Have you talked to a dr?

12-01-2012, 03:04 PM
This resulted from a small fight with my husband and I have been in an attack for 2 1/2 days now. I tired to return home and had to leave immediately. If I even think about it I get sick...no dr's are open this late on a Saturday and I feel like this attack may never end

12-01-2012, 03:06 PM
I'm not sure if going to the ERwould be benefical

jfletch
12-01-2012, 06:17 PM
I also know how u feel. Do you have an urgent care clinic. That might be more economical than the er and they both could probably do the same thing. I don't want to push meds but maybe Ativan or Xanax can help calm the nerves until you can get in to see a dr.

SunnieDebris
12-01-2012, 06:43 PM
I agree with fletch. Meds to help you calm down seem like a good idea right now.

dazza
12-02-2012, 03:50 AM
This is SO typical of anxiety disorder.

If having the disorder wasn't bad enough, we also develop fear of situations and places which are either associated with a previous panic or believed to cause panic for one reason or another.

NOT only the above, but fights / arguments (especially with those closest) can cause intense stress - which itself is a perfect trigger for high anxiety and panic.

So, this situation has ALL the ingredients for a rough time and I'm not surprised it's causing you trouble.
(Let's face it... arguments can cause anyone stress, let alone those with anxiety disorder)

12-02-2012, 09:58 AM
Any tips to help with it?

dazza
12-02-2012, 10:27 AM
Any tips to help with it?

You know what, if I had one method which could cure you right here, right now... not only would I be super popular, but I'd also be a billionaire.

My cure was a mix of cognetive therapy, medication (diazepam for almost instant calming), some natural calmers like Chamomile tea & rescue remedy (which i'm not convinced actually did anything other than made me THINK they worked - which is OK actually) and of course... TIME.

They reckon that on average it takes a good year or two to recover from the initial development of anxiety disorder... AS LONG AS you take necessary steps to help yourself.

I'm affraid that sometimes you've just got to face your fears, too. As fucking hard as it is... you gotta teach yourself that logically, what you fear is actually NO BIG DEAL on the grand scale of things (because it REALLY isn't).

Deep breaths / stay focused / keep distracted / plan things you like / look forward to stuff / know you'll be ok / know there's a life out there other than an anxious one / this is all bullshit / you're experiencing fear gone bad, that's all - it's not physical / 1 in 10 people suffer similar - it's SO common / you can do it / smile... go on, dare you! / keep going / you're a winner not a loser / only the brave

jhunter89
12-02-2012, 10:47 AM
Do you have any good memories of being in your home? Maybe think about those? :)