PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety from Work

rcohn20
11-24-2012, 08:04 PM
Hi everyone,
I'm new to this but I really am glad to have found this community.
I have anxiety which was under control until I started this new job 2 weeks ago-and now I'm struggling. The position is great but I'm very overwhelmed with the amount of work I'm responsible for.
I don't want to give up...the organization is aware that everyone takes on an enormous load, but the anxiety is taking a toll on me and I'm scared.
I know it's just he beginning but clearly I'm overwhelmed and am desperate for help.
I also started new anxiety medication today which I'm happy I reaches out for.
Does anyone else have the same feeling about their work? I'd love your guidance! Thank you!

becki
11-25-2012, 04:10 PM
I too get anxiety at work. I'm a day care teacher and sometimes I get overwhelmed at things. What I do then is tell myself things will get better and pass. I try to take things one step at a time and not worry about rushing. I tell myself I've had anxiety at work before and nothing has happened besides me getting uncomfortable.

Are you making friends at the new job? That helps, talking to people helps pass the time and reduce the stress.

Good luck to you!

rcohn20
11-25-2012, 04:45 PM
I too get anxiety at work. I'm a day care teacher and sometimes I get overwhelmed at things. What I do then is tell myself things will get better and pass. I try to take things one step at a time and not worry about rushing. I tell myself I've had anxiety at work before and nothing has happened besides me getting uncomfortable.

Are you making friends at the new job? That helps, talking to people helps pass the time and reduce the stress.

Good luck to you!

Thank you! You're absolutely right-I'm trying to take it day by day and not think too far ahead. Yes, I do like who I work with...we are all stretched thin...
I appreciate your support so much!

dazza
11-25-2012, 04:50 PM
It's a double-bummer how the two places we spend most our time (home & work) are the very two places which are mostly to blame for anxiety & stress.

In the case of home:

i/ Sole occupancy (singles) is often lonely and gives people too much time to think & worry. They can drive themselves bonkers.

or

ii/ When a parent is stuck at home with screaming kid(s).

In the case of work:

i/ This one's obvious. Work is often stressful and anxiety THRIVES on stress.

If you feel yourself becoming overwhelmed with stress at work then it's time to stop what you're doing and go chill for 10 minutes or so.

It's always a good idea to plan your day too, e.g write down what needs to be done and tick the jobs / tasks off one-by-one as you go.
Trying to tackle everything by memory or on-the-fly often leads to chaos.

rcohn20
11-25-2012, 10:46 PM
It's a double-bummer how the two places we spend most our time (home & work) are the very two places which are mostly to blame for anxiety & stress.

In the case of home:

i/ Sole occupancy (singles) is often lonely and gives people too much time to think & worry. They can drive themselves bonkers.

or

ii/ When a parent is stuck at home with screaming kid(s).

In the case of work:

i/ This one's obvious. Work is often stressful and anxiety THRIVES on stress.

If you feel yourself becoming overwhelmed with stress at work then it's time to stop what you're doing and go chill for 10 minutes or so.

It's always a good idea to plan your day too, e.g write down what needs to be done and tick the jobs / tasks off one-by-one as you go.
Trying to tackle everything by memory or on-the-fly often leads to chaos.

I agree with all you said...I make lists and check things off but I'm always bombarded with more. I just hope I get used to everything and become more comfortable overtime. Thanks for your support!

dazza
11-26-2012, 12:39 AM
I agree with all you said...I make lists and check things off but I'm always bombarded with more. I just hope I get used to everything and become more comfortable overtime. Thanks for your support!

You'll need time to settle in. Starting a new job is stressful for anyone... least of all because you'll barely know anyone and you're probably trying extra hard to impress - putting more pressure on yourself by saying YES to everyone.

It's important to know when to say NO! Saying NO (but giving adequate reasons) earns respect in itself.

namld095hn
11-26-2012, 02:40 AM
C?m on chia s? c?a b?n..........................

dazza
11-26-2012, 03:24 AM

My advice - stay off the Gin! :-)

jhunter89
11-26-2012, 04:05 AM

Dafuq?????

dazza
11-26-2012, 04:09 AM
Dafuq?????

As in... WHAT DA FUQ?

LOL

jhunter89
11-26-2012, 04:33 AM
As in... WHAT DA FUQ?

LOL

Indeedy do

rcohn20
11-26-2012, 09:51 PM
You'll need time to settle in. Starting a new job is stressful for anyone... least of all because you'll barely know anyone and you're probably trying extra hard to impress - putting more pressure on yourself by saying YES to everyone.

It's important to know when to say NO! Saying NO (but giving adequate reasons) earns respect in itself.

Thank you...I just wish I knew everything and was comfortable with all that's expected of my role. There's so much to learn and it intimidates me...I have to cut myself some slack. It's def never easy to start a new job and this is a major transition...It's just comforting to know other ppl deal with these feelings too.

afamc
11-27-2012, 06:21 PM
I am always overloaded with work, as are all of my co-workers. The entire organization is aware but less than willing to do anything about it. I try to use the strategy to work towards the items that are currently under the scrutiny of the organization, it runs in cycles that you can only learn from time in that job. I know this is not a lot of help but try to prioritize the work , an remember if you don’t have time to do it right the first time you sure don’t have time to do it twice.

rcohn20
11-27-2012, 07:02 PM
I am always overloaded with work, as are all of my co-workers. The entire organization is aware but less than willing to do anything about it. I try to use the strategy to work towards the items that are currently under the scrutiny of the organization, it runs in cycles that you can only learn from time in that job. I know this is not a lot of help but try to prioritize the work , an remember if you don’t have time to do it right the first time you sure don’t have time to do it twice.

Thank you...it feels good to know others experience the samething! I appreciate the support!